Who/what is the X-factor this year?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Aug 31, 2011.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

For the who part: I vote for the tandem of AJ Johnson and Austin Johnson. I think Maggitt will get his purely off speed rushing, but the play of these two will determine a lot about our season.

For the what part: I say the run game. We won't be able to fun-n-gun against the elite teams all game long. It's a must that we have some threat in the run game.

What say ye?

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think our ability to convert 3rd and 3 yards or less. If the line has indeed improved, we should be able to convert in those situation by running. That's always a mark of a good football team, in my opinion.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Improved special teams. It's not sexy, but boy has it killed us the last several years. Consistent kicking, kick coverage, and fielding a dadgum punt might be the difference between 7 and 8 wins.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Red-zone conversions. 75% last year.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agree with Jo. I think having an effective field goal kicker will make or break us as far as getting more than 6 wins.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wilcox & O-line.

He's got more talent and a little mroe depth. Can his schemes stop teams?

I think we all agree the O-line will be better, but will they be just better or able to completely take over ballgames?

Also agree on kicking game.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He literally couldn't run a nickel package at times last year once Art was suspended and Teague was banged up. I expect a big improvement on D just because of added depth back there.

Daniel Hood is one guy that can make this team a lot better. If he can occupy two blockers or beat the one guy on him he can cause a ripple effect along the DL. Malik can command a double team himself and Jacques is a monster. If Hood shows out, the DL can be pretty good. Couch is just as important too.

RBs/OL go hand in hand on 3rd and short. If Tennessee can convert on these, the entire team is better for it. More rest for the D and more opportunities for a big play from Bray.

8. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

i say special teams as well. i would love to see a money kicker for a change.

9. CardinalVol

I'm a big Wilcox fan. He likes to go outside the box and you could tell his hands were completely tied at times last year. I think we'll see some interesting wrinkles out of the defense. He tried at times last year, he just didn't have the horses to pull them off.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like him a lot too. He seems to want his back 7 to be almost interchangeable by running little zones and blitzing from everywhere. Look at the size of the safeties he's going after.

I think Eric Gordon will be used a lot to blitz from the slot. He's not a great cover guy but he's very physical. Do you remember how Javier Arenas blitzed nearly every time he was on the field? I think that's how they will use Gordon

11. CardinalVol

Without thinking about this comment too much before saying it, it's almost like he takes 3-4 principles and incorporates them into a 4-2-5 scheme.

Hadn't thought that about Gordon, but that makes sense and I would expect it.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Rod Wilks.

Sorry, somebody had to.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Brent Brewer might be a guy that steps it up. He showed flashes last year, if he gets more consistent I could see him knocking a ball loose here or there. Plus just the fact that we can actually play a nickel package won't hurt. I really wish JJ wasn't such a maroon. His presence and ability to make plays in different ways would be useful.

14. CardinalVol

I expect Brewer coming from the SS position early and often.

I can't find it and missed it, but haev they said who will be the 5th DB in the nickel set?

However, I am trying to keep my heart rate down about starting two freshmen at OLB.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not that worried about the freshmen LBs. Sure, they'll make mistakes but the majority of those will be because they are inexperienced. It will not be because they lack talent.

With the other guys that Wilcox and Sirmon would be throwing out there, they won't be able to make plays because of a lack of talent.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  16. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

The two that are least talked about are Rivera and Teague. We need solid contributions from both to be effective. I think we will need a threat at TE to open some of the running lanes once we hit SEC play. Teague will have to shut down his side of the field to give Coleman time to catch up with the speed of the game.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Rivera could be this team's Gerald Jones on 3rd downs. It appears he and Bray have a good sense of what the other is doing out there.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do think Rivera can step up. I think he has it in him.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

just a quick read says we've basically upgraded across the board and I tend to think that's true. It's not enough, but it's damn sure the right direction.

If Ben Martin can show a glimmer of his talent, we will have some badass DEs taking the field.

20. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

X factor will be the "player count guy"