Memphis Recruiting by Dooley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by homefry20, Aug 31, 2011.

1. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I was just curious what you all think about it or lack thereof. I havent heard of anyone even being seriously recruited except for Clear last season. Meanwhile several other SEC schools have signed legitimate players including Vandy, Miss St., Arkansas, and Ole Miss.

Is Memphis a priority for Dooley?
    IS he recruiting and missing out on players or is he not really recruiting Memphis much at all?

Im just curious, and this is not a troll question considering my Tigers get the leftovers in our own city anyway.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

He wanted two kids from Memphis last year and he got both.

3. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Ok...who was the other? It seemed that he only wanted a select few and didnt waste time with anyone else.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Tino Thomas

5. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Ahhh...OK, thanks

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think last season he mentioned wanting to get half his squad from within so many hours of Knoxville. Memphis would have been towards the extreme of that range.

Honestly, Tennessee locking down Memphis is a pipe dream. Might as well try for the guys you want, but not waste too much effort on the futile.

7. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Recruiting Memphis is not a necessity for basketball but especially football to succeed. Sure we've had some nice fb players from Memphis, but I think Memphians overall value the importance.

8. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I tend to agree with that philosophy. Although its technically in TN, UTK is a mere 6 hours away. Every School in the SEC West is closer geographically. Im just curious with the new staff in both sports. I do think Martin needs to make his presence and get a couple of players and they dont necessarily have to be five star guys either.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I almost wish we'd just stay out of Memphis in basketball. I mean, maybe kick the tires, but I just feel like the basketball staffs have spent so much time down there trying to get those dudes and are very rarely successfully. However, football seems to get a couple of guys most years, and I'd stay involved. We haven't had too many big impact guys, but some nice contributors have come from down there.