Post UF Game Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by PilotFlyingJ, Sep 25, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Random thoughts.

Cooper Mays cost us two drives in first half (pre injury) with bad snaps on 3rd down.

Hooker's biggest flaw IMO is that when there is pressure, there is no scrambling, there is only survival. He freaks out. Had Warren for a 30 yard gain on the sideline and threw it into the front row.

Calloway drop was lack of focus.

The unfocused and lack of discipline stuff is gonna cost us another game this year.

Mullen can get guys open.

I've got zero problems with how Heupel went before half. Wish he'd tried to get another quick hitter in with 6 seconds left. Cracks me up that people think a coach that goes fast normally isn't gonna go ludicrous speed in that situation.

Injury bug returning in earnest is concerning.

If I'm a football coach who can cover, I'm covering.

Still think this team can get to 6 wins. Mizzou, Jr, and Kentucky are winnable ball games.

This team isn't awful. Far from good, but if they can stay healthy I think they might can be a fun fun team to watch as the season goes.

Tar Volon likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

pretty much. 3rd downs were also big and we needed some stops. We also needed a flag or two on the multiple holds on 3rd down conversions I saw. Those and the drop are huge plays and swings in how the game goes vs could have gone. We have some issues, but we are aggressive offensively and swarm on defense. Entertaining to watch and we play with a little swagger. We don't have the horses and chemistry yet to overcome those types of plays, especially at the swamp against Mullen. And yes when Hooker decides to get out of the pocket his head is down and he's running. I already mentioned, but Milton runs like he's trying to run up behind somebody without making noise to scare them. Anybody notice the odd dive on a run last night? Awkward.
    JH made a couple errors yesterday. 4th and 2 delay was bad. Still want to know what happened. Not using TO's correctly was another. They have enough damn coaches, so imo there should always be one guy who just knows how to manage timeouts in 2 minute drills. I was wanting one with 30 seconds left. Leave you with 1 and plan a couple of sideline routes, take a shot, and dump over the middle in next 3 plays with a timeout left.

3. Ssmiff

I'm glad to see TE's get so many targets after seeing very few the last years. Might help us get a couple studs in the future. RB's too. Carries, screens, etc in a fast paced offense always focused on matchups. Feel like I haven't watched UT games in a while where a play happens and I think what a playcall. We have several really good playcalls everygame so far. Getting caught offguard by some coaching is entertaining for me.
    5 minutes left in Q3, we are about to score on the play or first and goal and cut it to 3. Instead, the drop. Another great playcall and good protection. We were right there without a break all night. Team unfortunately felt what we felt. 14 pt swing. Game over.

4. Ssmiff

Attached Files:

5. Ssmiff

Same drive. Ends up 8 or 9 yard gain. That's a net loss of 18 yards to where it should have been

Attached Files:

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I have been talked into the two-minute drill. We were getting snaps off in 2-3 seconds, and their defense was unbalanced. We were moving the ball great, and had a real opportunity for a touchdown and then a real opportunity for a FG when the first one didn’t work. Hard to ask for much more when you’re working with 30 seconds or so (once we had a couple runs to get out from our own 10).

I have no idea what happened on that 4th and 2 but it was embarrassing.

7. Ssmiff

Not a good situation on 3rd and 6. Unless some weird catch them off guard with qb draw. Either way it didn't work

Attached Files:

8. Ssmiff

3rd and 5 down 10. This ball should be within 5 yard of the wr now.

Attached Files:

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I almost wondered if they decided to take the delay and punt, but that isn’t really their MO or what it looked like

justingroves likes this.
  10. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Man it’s nice to have an offense that can move the ball. Is Hooker ok? I think the future is brighter than it ever was with Pruitt/Butch/Dooley. Hope the recruiting stuff ends up working out, but with the way these guys adjust and put people in the right positions, it shouldn’t be too hard to be competitive again.

Memtownvol likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Last one. Oh my

Attached Files:

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would have been a touchdown.

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Most likely

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

At the end of the first half, Tennessee had put itself to be in position to be down a touchdown. They missed the field goal.

Callaway's drop was most likely a game tying touchdown.

Now, there's plenty of other things that went wrong, but midway through the 3rd that game should have been tied. That's frustrating and exciting. The pre snap penalties are 100% on coaching. They need to get toned down

15. Tar Volon

Was looking up past performance out of curiosity, and that was our most rushing yards against Florida since John Kelly tried to drag Quinten Dormady (yes, I had to look this up) and Lyle’s awful 2017 team to a win against the 4-7 Gator team that got McElwain fired. Most total yards against Florida since 2017 as well.

The defense didn’t come off nearly so well, to no one’s surprise. Florida’s offense was flat outplaying us yesterday. Felt like the D had plenty of fight, but they lost steam at the end.

16. Ssmiff

If that was the most total yards since 2017, it was probably the 2nd most yards in no telling how many years. Maybe since the Travis Stephens game.

17. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

The pre snap penalties are concerning. No team can afford to be giving away or denying itself yards, especially a team as thin as ours.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I thought the missed fg was to tie it up.

TennTradition likes this.
  19. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

At the end of the half, it was.

20. Tar Volon

Nah, Dobbs had 399 by himself in 2016, and Hurd ran for 95.