Site Updates

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Thanks for the input / heads-up on the bugs that you guys have pointed out of late, while we'd hope that they never occur, such is the cost of getting the new site to where we want / need it to be. Our apologies for any consternation or inconvenience it might have caused. A quick update on a couple of issues:

Mobile Site
    vBulletin has a Mobile Suite (skin) - but we encountered a bug in its code that, essentially, prevents a page from loading. We have reported it to vBulletin, and are awaiting their direction. Understanding its importance, we have been working on a modified template theme which, while not a "true" mobile theme, is far less graphic / Flash / Javascript intense, if only for use in the interim until the bug issue is resolved. This is our top priority, by far.

"Server is Busy" Messages
    A SPAM setting was responsible for this, essentially, preventing the forum from being bombarded by SPAMBOTS. Unfortunately, much like an electronic shark net, it also caught several users in its web as well. We have since changed and increased this setting, and after having tested it several times ourselves, believe that it has been resolved.

Banned Registrations
    As part of making this site a strictly 18+ forum, we installed a setting that requires new registrants to verify their age to meet COPAA law. While the normal "registrant" was working as expected (you signed up, got an email, verified your link, and awaited moderation) - the newly developed COPAA registration was checked as a "banned" group - hence, new users seeing the immediate "Your Ass is Banned" message (i.e. banning themselves). This setting has been changed, the registration process has since been triple-checked, and is now working as expected. Please continue to spread the work and invite others to the site - and feel free to blame me for any previous (failed) attempts to register. Better yet, have them shoot me an email at rexvol@volnation.com

Thread Read / New Setting
    Some of you encountered a problem where the new/read thread icons were not accurately displayed (i.e. you read it, but it showed as being "New") or vice versa. We had set these up to be determined by browsing history - but unfortunately, it was using visiting a particular forum (and not a single thread) as its standard of having been "viewed" or "not viewed" and was causing some confusion. We changed the setting, and it now functions by threads actually viewed, and should resolve the problem. However, if it continues to occur, please let us know.

Page Load Times
    This one is curious - some are noticing a delay in the forum loading, while others are not. However, we are going to be proactive in addressing any page load / speed issues by migrating the board to a newly hosted / dedicated environment tonight (the board may be down for a few hours), which should correct any noticeable delays, real or imagined.

New Logo
    We continue to perfect a new logo, and hope to soon have it out for your collective review and feedback, however, such is somewhat on the back-burner (rightfully so) insofar as either the accessibility or functionality of the new site requires our attention. But just an FYI that we haven't forgotten this.

Blogging / Articles
    The availability of any user to write / post and publish their own blog or article is one bad-ass component of this site - and one which we hope that you'll take advantage of, whenever you'd like to do so. To facilitate this, we are working on a very simplistic (read: step-by-step essentially) instruction guide to help you get your thoughts out to the masses, both on this site, and well beyond. You should see this in the next day or so. I've seen the following common questions being posed around the site related to this, and wanted to provide some quick answers:

Question 1: "What should / can / may I write about?"
    ANSWER: Whatever you'd like to write about. Anything, really. The Civil War. Tyler Bray. [breasts]. Gays in military. Stuff you hate. Stuff you love. Essentially, the only requirement for content is: have something to say or a point to make.

Question 2: "How often can / must I write something?"
    ANSWER: As often as you'd like. One-time. Every hour. Infrequently. Whatever you'd like, as often as you'd like - your submissions are welcomed.

Question 3: "Who's permission do I need before doing so?"
    ANSWER: No ones. Your presence here is all the permission you need to write an article or blog. If it sucks, it will likely be ridiculed. If not, it will generate comments and viewership both here, and elsewhere.

Question 4: "Does it have to be perfect / professional writing style?"
    ANSWER: No - it can be written conversationally, but of course, we'd prefer that you observed the basic rules of grammar / spelling / punctuation, etc.

Quick Fixes
    Some housekeeping items that we intend to look into / correct in the next 24-48 hours:

1. Making hyperlinked text appear as a different color, and not just on mouse-over
    2. Looking at the (vBulletin) bugs for "New Reply" and for "Insert Image"
    3. Adding more functionalities and mods, all directed toward driving membership

We have sort of plateaued on new members (auto-banning and busy servers will do that nicely, I think) - but hope to have removed all of the roadblocks to more invitations and registrants. Again, the first 150 are free, so if you know of someone who would be a good addition here, please feel free to invite them (and yes, there is a place even for the lightning rods - I'm entirely unconcerned about their running rampant here, over this group of people).

Thanks for being here, and again, sorry for any inconvenience or annoyances we might have caused, however unintentionally.

In the meantime, if you see any other areas where your experience on the site could be improved, please pass them along.

2. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I was getting server is busy for the past two days... was finally able to log on.

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

ya i was wondering if TOOS decided to hack 8thmaxim

4. egotistical

egotistical New Member

pj wouldn't allow it.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I have been getting it at work, not at home. When I retyped my username and password at the top of the screen with the "busy" message, I seemed to go around it. Just a tip until the fix is in.

6. Hobock

Hobock New Member

I was too stupid to try that. I just thought it was down this whole time.

7. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

Any news regarding the mobile site?

8. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I would suggest just giving it tapatalk capabilities

9. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Why is it that when I try to log in I have to do it three or four times? After the first couple of times it says welcome to the site with my username but sends me right back to the log in page. Is this some kind of hint?

10. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Have you cleared out your cookies and then tried to log back in?

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Are you checking the Remember Me box?

12. Tex_Volfan.

Tex_Volfan. Only Mod Approved Posts

Yes, make sure to click the remember me box. Makes it much easier and doesn't log you out after several minutes of being unused.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe it's because you're old. :D

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Is new posts jacked up for anyone else? Screen is completely different.

15. volinbham

volinbham Member

avatars are huge on Safari and there's some other crazy shit going on. I miss the "top" button in each comment

16. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Who is that dude with all the crazy suits?

17. Hobock

Hobock New Member

I'm digging the new mobile update. Much better, fellas.
    Thanks again for the heads-up, VNB.

18. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

can we get the 'back to top' button....I miss it

19. Tex_Volfan.

Tex_Volfan. Only Mod Approved Posts

Could we get this put down at the bottom, right above the previous thread/next thread?

ForumMainThe Thunderdome ****Thunderdome Central****