Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In Boulder

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

He died due to complications from an alleged mustard bottle attack.

SetVol13, zehr27, lumberjack4 and 5 others like this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m surprised there’s any college football media people anywhere else

4. CardinalVol

All we need at this point is for him to visit KC for a game.

5. CardinalVol

Best NIL use yet -

[​IMG]

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Reminds me of the best commercial I saw this weekend:

[​IMG]

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This right here (the 1-11 shit) is why the Deion stuff kind of annoys me. People act like it's all the same players. It feels like false sensationalizing to make people pay attention. Almost like the people reporting on / talking about it are just doing it for clicks.

8. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

People keep saying he has a new team while sidestepping the fact that said new team was a 20.5 point underdog playing on the road (and that many of the new players came from Jackson State).

It was a very impressive win that people immediately started to undercut for no apparent reason

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh ya, people just immediately talked down CU. For sure. Amazing amount of bad-mouthing of CU this year.

10. NashVol11

Lots of people did, you just paid attention to the positivity and reacted to that instead. Hell, the VN thread is a whole lot of "well TCU got killed by Georgia so they were never that good"

Also 2 or 3 different coaches discussed in this very thread that took shots at the program when Deion had said nothing about them

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Who cares if they were an underdog? It was the first game of the season, and they had a completely new team. Pretty easy to see how Vegas can get that one wrong.

Who undercut the win? I'm not even undercutting the win. I'm just pointing out that it's disingenuous to talk about how he turned around this team that was 1-11 last year. He didn't. He brought in a new team.

12. NashVol11

It's a fact that they were 1-11 last year. Bringing a bunch of transfers to a place like Colorado to the point where they can beat a team in the title game last year is itself impressive (to the point where Vegas, which isn't stupid, apparently thought they'd get blown out). I don't understand the need to correct the record on that

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wait, we are referring to the posters on VN as people and paying attention to their posts now? Why?

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Heup was in a more difficult position 1st year

15. NashVol11

He would be better off if he had taken over 1-11 Colorado, as opposed to a school that brings in top-15 classes every single year and has the biggest recruiting budget in the country? Okay. Tell him that and he'll probably laugh at you

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Because it's not a remotely similar roster. Referring to their record from last year suggests that he took a group of guys that sucked last year and made them good this year. He didn't. He just found new guys.

Again, I'm not saying it makes beating TCU unimpressive. But had he beat them with the same roster that went 1-11 last year, it would have been significantly more impressive. And people are acting like that's what happened.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I shouldn’t have to explain why Heup had a tougher deal than Deion in yr 1 of a rebuild.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  18. NashVol11

Bringing in new guys to a school that was 1-11 last year, and hasn't been good in forever, is hard, which is why the record is relevant. Winning with a roster full of new guys is also hard, hence the 20.5 point line. He doesn't need to have beaten them with last year's roster for my post to be accurate

19. NashVol11

And I shouldn't have to explain why if you offer Heup or any coach the Colorado job off a 1-11 season or the Tennessee job in a rebuild, it's not remotely a question.

If you're saying Heupel had it harder because he didn't bring in new players as well as Deion did despite being at a much more attractive place, that is literally part of the job

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Again, I'm not talking about any specific post of yours. I'm talking about people, in general, acting like he took a group of guys that went 1-11 and flipped them to start 3-1 the following year. That's not what's happening.

We gonna talk at all about the #1 recruit they brought in this year, whose high school scouting report on 247 refers to him as "A generational type of talent?" Or his son at QB, who is widely thought to be a future first round pick with the potential to go top 5 if he stays one more year?

Did Colorado have any of those types of players last year?