UT bought out the Ducks for 2013(per Chip Kelly)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by FlowingAway., Sep 5, 2011.

1. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

What are your thoughts guys? I for one am interested in the explanation for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011
  2. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Dont really care

Our conference schedule is already bad enough without adding to it.

At least let us build up our team before we start a killer OOC schedule

3. GoVols

GoVols Member

I am thrilled to see it!

I have never been a fan of these high profile OOC games. Did you know that Tennessee is 2-7 in these games since 2002? Did you know that these games were the difference between a losing record and no bowl game in 2005 & 2008?

I love seeing the Vols play in these great OOC games, but it's just not worth it. It has proven to hurt out team significantly and made it much more difficult to get the program turned back around.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i don't have a problem with this either. would have been a fun trip though.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I was looking forward to the trip.

6. GoVols

GoVols Member

Agreed, but when it comes time to recruit players at the end of the 2005 and 2008 seasons, is it easier to tell the recruits you went to a bowl game or that you had a losing season?

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Bowl eligibility is meaningless to me. 6-6 and going to play a cellar dweller from the ACC in Nashville the day after Christmas is no better than 5-7.

Our scheduling is now on par with Kentucky's rather than Florida's or Bama's. I didn't like it when we bought out UNC, and I don't like this. Schedule good opponents and go beat them. If you can't, take your lumps and get better. A tough out of conference game didn't stop a single one of the SEC national champions from winning it all. In fact, every single team in the BCS era save one played a top flight OOC opponent.

Turning down the opportunity to play a premier game on national television in a part of the country that we do not regularly reach just sucks. It smacks of cowardice and acceptance of mediocrity. I hate it.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Same.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Has anyone announced this from the UT side yet? All I have seen is Chip Kelley.

Also, is this a prelude to a 9 game conference schedule if true?

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Good point. We have got to make room for the game with the Aggies.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm not really buying anything until I hear it come from someone other than Kelley.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I don't know if he will make it to 2013 anyway.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

autzen is vastly overrated as a difficult place to play. i bet you would have at least made a game of it. too bad.

14. GoVols

GoVols Member

When was the last time Florida stepped foot outside of Florida to play an OOC game the last 20 years? There are plenty of teams to hold in high regard for scheduling, Florida is not one of them.

15. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

According to UT, this is not true

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Wes Rucker Vols Coverage
    UT officials now saying they have not canceled the trip to Oregon, and any cancellation would be "on their (Oregon's) end." Niiiice.

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Playing Florida State every year is plenty stout.

Are you confusing "state" with "conference?"

18. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Maybe they are trying to say we are dropping them, when they are considering it.

19. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

that sucks, i actually enjoy the ooc games against good schools, it sure as hell beats watching another UT vs Buffalo/Montana/blind and deaf school

20. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

Well [uck fay] a duck.