Measuring Cuonzo's Progress At UT.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Sep 6, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I think a fair way to judge his performance is to measure it against what Lon Kruger and Billy Gillispie do at OU and Texas Tech. All three are taking over skelteon rosters.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Are the schedules comparable? I imagine UT's is more difficult than the other two.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think year 1 is about watching improvement and seeing if guys play like they're being coached.

4. hatvol96

I don't necessarily mean just this year. I'm talking about over the long haul.

5. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I think you are right. This isn't going to be the most talented team in the world or a team that should even contend for the SEC- then again we're not Auburn bad either.

I'll be happy if they play tough D, give great effort and execute- you do those things hopefully you win a few you shouldn't.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that's some pretty stout competition for my money.

7. hatvol96

True, but if he's going to coach at this level those guys are now his peers.

8. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

My first thought is those two have proven themselves to varying degrees and would imagine they could bring in the talent quicker and before they start winning, where Martin might have to win first (which is tough to so without the horses)... just a thought.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

agreed, but makes it sound like big boy stuff. From what I hear, I don't think he'll have any real issues with the coaching part, aside from sideline and in the heat of the battle stuff, which is experience based. Recruiting is purely a wait and see. Hate that we went to a wait and see candidate, but that's a Cheek thing.

10. hatvol96

If you've got a major D-I job and you're getting outrecruited by a school in Lubbock, you aren't going to have a long shelf life.

11. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I would think with the connections and success BCG has had in the state he could get in-state guys to Lubbock. Having never been there and very much in the dark about the state and Tech I could be wrong.

12. hatvol96

Hard to get anyone to Lubbock. BCG will have to build it there the same way he did at UTEP.