These 9/11 Commemorative Shows

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by bigpapavol, Sep 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Are almost as painful to watch as living the original was. Feels so close and so real. Had many graduate school buddies slaving away on Wall Street floors and couldn't get any on the phone. Was surreal.

I went to the 01 Army Navy game in Philly and Bush was there while GEN Schwarzkopf recited, from memory, GEN MacArthur's Duty, Honor, Country speech to the corps of cadets from 1963. Was the most partisan event I've ever been to in my life. Bush ambled onto the field and the place went absolutely nuts.

2. Tex_Volfan.

Tex_Volfan. Only Mod Approved Posts

Never forget!

3. volinbham

volinbham Member

Watched an hour - powerful stuff. Hope those SoB's are burning.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I read this the other day and am still struck by it the comments in bold:

"What happened in the little trailer once the remains were brought in was so full of reverence and was so profound," she says. Before she gave blessings, "hard hats would come off and silence would prevail."

Her blessing was a simple one. "We didn't know if the person was Jewish or Christian or Buddhist or Muslim," she says. "I asked for the spirit of that person to find comfort, for the family to find strength, and asked for strength of workers who were working so tirelessly."

Raynor also walked the recovery area looking for anyone who might want to talk. "Some of the workers were there when the buildings fell and had a lot of guilt because they left people behind. They told me having the clergy helped them."

But one day, when what was believed to be the remains of one of the hijackers were found, a worker helped her instead. "I asked: 'Was this body desecrated in any way when you found it? Was it spat upon? Was it treated in any disrespectful way?' And what he said brought tears to my eyes. He said: 'These remains were treated with the same respect as all the other remains. After all, this is still someone's son

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/mi...-911-Chaplain-volunteer-New-York-Raynor_n.htm

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Haven't watch one second, on purpose. Not out of disrespect, just because I don't want to live through it again.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Paul Simon playing "Sound of Silence" this morning was a poignant moment.

[video=youtube;c78-oVo1Etw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c78-oVo1Etw[/video]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

One interview that I ended up seeing at least 5 times the week after it was with a lady who was frantically searching for her husband. A latino lady. He was a window washer at the WTC. I cried every time that I saw her pleading with the camera that if anyone knew anything about him to please contact her. As a matter of fact, I'm tearing up now thinking about it.

I never saw or heard a follow-up. I assume he didn't make it through. I've just often thought about that and how awful and sad that interview was.

8. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

The show currently airing on NatGeo about the events leading up to the attacks is top notch.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What was the title of the show, tid? I think I caught them all earlier in the week - but wanted to make sure I saw the one your speaking of.

10. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Inside 9/11: War on America

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that one is solid, as is the 107 Minutes That Changed America.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The kid speaking that said "I wasn't born yet, but I love you Dad. I love the fact that you loved the idea of having me" made me cry. I cry almost never, but it just struck me as one of the saddest things I've ever heard. I know it has happened to many, many others, but it struck a chord in me.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

"I know you're watching me from heaven and I hope I'm making you proud." Again, I know it's not a new concept, but listening to these kids whose parents were taken away for nothing but unforgivable hatred is brutal for me. I'm not sure that bin "dead" Laden quite understood how we would react to a blatant attack on our freedom. We are legitimately different than most of the rest of the world in mindset. It has been expensive and divisive, but we aren't giving up the ghost on dusting all of the perpetrators.

14. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

My wife is pregnant with our first- certainly changes things, at least for me.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Congrats. Number two is on the way for us. Most of the cliches about kids -- they change your life, they grow up so fast -- are true. Enjoy it.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Agree. Second one on the way here too. Good luck and best wishes.

17. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Appreciate it and congrats to you as well.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Seeing and hearing some of those children brought me to tears. I'm not a very emotional person, but hearing kids who have had to face things that ended their innocence far too young, moved me.

And echoing above, I never cried until I became a father. Something just changes within that makes you see things differently.

19. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i notice a couple of channels are playing "Loose Change". sad and pathetic that they would play that garbage today. it reminds me of something gibbs would shit out of his mouth

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sad stuff. my wife's a teacher and it's shocking how little 18 year olds know about 9/11. questions like "why did the building fall down?" "Who did it?" As an aside, if you didn't live in new york or DC when this happened I don't care to hear your story about how you found out about 9/11 (or at least i don't care to watch it on TV).