2013 NFL Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Jan 5, 2013.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Because they're not stupid enough to penalize a team for something everyone else does, unless it might get the league sued.

2. hatvol96

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun"

Billy Joel

I'll roll with that philosophy.

3. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

so... you think they were in the wrong?

4. hatvol96

In an abstract sense, sure.
    In the real world of professional football, absolutely not.

5. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

serious question; what could/would have been the possible fall out if the patriots/belichick had not been fined? assuming everything was as kosher as you believe.

6. hatvol96

It would have looked like the league didn't have control over its teams. They didn't like the idea of that perception. So, they took what amounted to symbolic action.

7. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

next question; why didn't the pats try to clear their name? it worked for vilma.

8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Just pay the fine and be done with it. Trying to clear your name keeps the media talking about.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

is anyone arguing they didn't do it?

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure that's a good argument. I'm pretty sure Goodell was judge and jury for that one and he hasn't exactly proven to be a reliable administrator of justice.

11. hatvol96

Why bother?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Serious questions:

For a Manning fan, what would it take for one to acknowledge Brady has outperformed (read: is the better QB) Manning in their professional careers? What would Brady need to do, that he hasn't done?

For a Manning nega-fan or whatever, what would it take Manning doing going forward for him to be acknowledged as on par with Brady?

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's a good question.

Peyton fans will say Brady is the product of the "Belicheck system" and isn't that good, even though the "Belicheck system" wasn't anything special until Brady was under center.

Brady fans will say Peyton is a perennial choke artist.

The thing is, Peyton is one of the best QBs to ever play the game. He was expected to be that good from the time he was born. He was always "the guy" regardless of his supporting cast. The fact Cut and Fulmer relied on him to single handedly beat Florida, even though they had future NFL players on the OL and at RB, is idiotic. The Colts paid no attention to fixing a broken defense or replacing a back as good as Edgerrin James either, because eh, screw it, Peyton is good enough to win regardless of the cast.

Brady, on the other hand, had a hard time starting for Michigan. A third baseman for the Yankees beat him out of the starting QB spot. He was drafted by a team that had a lot of the right pieces and he was all that was missing. Brady has since turned into "the guy", but let's face it, the Pats never wanted to rely on him throwing the ball 35 times a game from the opening of camp his rookie year.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wait. I'm pretty sure the argument is that Brady is the greatest and Manning is common gutter refuse.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Joe Montana was actually good at ND at a high profile school and still got drafted in the third round. History is filled with qbs who got drafted low and ended up as elite qbs. What teams that brady lost to had superior talent over the years? Patriots and. . . who else? Mannings opponents weren't exactly a whos who of future HOFs. btw i'm not of the belief that manning sucks. only that he's a slightly better version of marino while brady is a top 3 qb all time. Even then we are splitting hairs to a degree.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like a lot of Manning's playoff losses came against the Pats and the Steelers. Not sure what your point is there.

I think the only reason anyone is really talking about Brady right now is because a week ago all the talk was about how crappy Manning played and how he'll never be as good as Brady. Then yesterday Brady comes out and looks worse against the same team.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Peyton Manning Playoffs Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com

there's some pretty mediocre teams on that list. . .

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Half advanced to the SB. Three of the four won it with Baltimore yet to play. His last two playoff games should have been wins.The Jets game was one of the more frustrating games I've watched.

The SD teams were mediocre for sure. The other two, Dolphins and Jets, were early career losses while the Colts were fairly mediocre themselves.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013