NY times estimates dedicated fans per school

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Sep 19, 2011.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wouldn't think Tennessee and Georgia would be below Clemson. Or that Penn State would be so high.

Not sure I buy any of that.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i buy penn state being that high. every guy not in phili and pitts is a penn state fan. clemson does seem suspect. of course these are supposed to be national fans so maybe their alumni aren't as local.

4. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

No offense to Clemson, but how many people across the country are clamoring to further their education there? Totally possible they have great programs that I'm unaware of. Also guess their alumni pretty much have to get the Hell out of there after graduation.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, I wouldn't think Clemson is even the most popular program in the state of South Carolina. And it's hard to imagine them having that much national support. They've not been relevant in 20 years.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Living down this way I would have to agree, though their popularity extends into Western NC and parts of Georgia. South Carolina fans are way more tolerable than Clemson fans, in my opinion.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a study with a LOT of assumptions built in. Clemson was clearly a "miss." No way there are so many Clemson fans. Look at licensed merchandise sales. Not even close.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes.

9. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I'm pretty sure I've never even met a Clemson fan.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Not missing much.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Was in my buddy's wedding last year in Greeneville and talked a good bit with SC/Clemson fans. I was ripping an SC fan pretty hard and he gave this (i think helpful) breakdown: "SC fans are bad. I know it and can admit it. Every single year the past 10 years was going to finally be our year. But Clemson fans are much worse. Here's the difference. We think it's our year to compete for the SEC east. We aren't delusional enough to expect more. Despite 4-5 loss seasons one after another, Clemson fans are convinced that they're national title contenders every freakin year."

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wish I could say the same.

Imagine a Alabama fan that swears Alabama is the greatest program in college football history. A rational person can make that argument and it seem reasonable due to multiple national titles and a long history of winning.

A Clemson fan will attempt to make the same argument for Clemson. The only thing they will say is they rub a magic rock, run down a hill and they wear purple pants. That's the reasoning for being a great program.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Nail, meet hammer.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't forget an awesomely unique mascot.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Oh yes I forget he holds his tail in his hand. No other tiger does that.

16. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Academically speaking, Clemson is a pretty good school. Ranked around 60th in the US News rankings. And the state of SC is split pretty evenly between SC and CU