Play more violent

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 21, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dooley said today he wanted his running backs to "play more violent".

I like the sound of that if they'll do it.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The truth of the matter is that the running backs just aren't that good.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You don't think Lane can come around?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Lane can be good. Right now, he's not any better than Poole.

Tom Smith isn't a big play threat but he can churn out 3 to 5 yard runs. We haven't seen enough of him in games to know if he's just a practice field superstar

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Non violent types?

6. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

Poole doesn't have a running backs vision. So when our Oline does make a hole(which hasn't happend very often if your keeping score) he just dosen't see it. I would like to see Lane starting if Poole fails to produce against the power house of buffalo. I would rather see the Oline play more aggressive, though. They're getting pushed around.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hardesty ran violently. We've got some timid RBs and you just can't have that in the SEC

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Would be great if he'd encourage the o-line to do the same. Add the defense to that list while you're at it.

9. vol_in_ar

vol_in_ar Member

hope the offensive line gets that message too

10. 7thgroupvolfan

I wish we didn't miss him so much. Poole and the running game as a whole, has been a huge let down. I didn't see us struggling this badly.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hardesty, Jamal, and Webb were violent, knock you in the mouth backs.

Tony Thompson, Jay Graham, and Travis Stephens were 'run like you stole something' backs.

We have neither right now, unless someone steps it up.

12. 7thgroupvolfan

Why in the hell isn't Neal getting more carries? He runs the ball like he's pissed off.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He runs laterally, gets nicked up often, and seems to live in Dooley's doghouse.

(His high school clips were some of the most impressive I've seen. Can't quite figure that guy out).

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I think Lane and Neal will be fine. it has become increasingly obvious that Tauren Poole is a guess hitter that got lucky and belted a few home runs last year

15. 7thgroupvolfan

I havn't noticed this. I'll need to watch the film.....

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

His best plays have been rail routes against UGA and USC. I don't remember off the top of my head any long runs he has had. I want him to succeed, but something is going on there I can't quite get at.

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Now that they've pulled Da'Rick from KO return duty, would like to see Neal and his speed back there. Right now our running game needs to find a 3-5 yard grinder RB and a guard/tackle combo that can move the LOS, we can worry about game breakers later.

I think it is just tough to have a line with 4 sophomores play with the kind of violence and commitment required. I expect them to continue to improve as the season wears on and might actually start flashing shades of becoming a force by end of season.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Young comin
    [​IMG]

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

+1

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Played hoops with D. Young once. Dude is built like a brick house.