The Win Over Cincinnati...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Sep 23, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

looks a little more impressive after their game tonight.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Their offense really is legitimate. They will likely end up in the top half of the Big East. Hell, I think they could give South Florida and WVU a game.

3. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

I can agree with this. They dominated a decent ACC team.

4. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

I agree Hat. There are way too many so called analysts that have opinions of what is a good win or a bad loss that can't see the big picture. I'm steadily rooting for Dools and his staff to develop his kids and continue to get more recruits to come to Tennesse.

5. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Reputations are overrated. Psssshhhhttttt.

6. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

I'm glad they won. Makes us beating them look much better

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'll take any little consolation i can get these next couple weeks.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The opener in the Dome next season looks a little less prime time, also.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It also tells us quite a bit more about how big of a deal losing Hunter early was. We might not beat UF, but that game was a totally different animal with him in the mix. Even our running game would have looked better. Still pisses me off that Chaney starts out trying to push the run rather than showing off early and intimidating with the pass to open up some run.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I can't go so far as to say NC State is decent, but I hear ya. The Cincy win does look a little more impressive today.

11. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Im just surprised we didnt run three or four WR sweeps during the game. I have said this before and got blasted, but Im not 100% in love with Chaney's playcalling, this year or last.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I really haven't seen anything that I thought was work of a clever offensive mind beating people to the punch. If we had dominant units, he could get away with what we do, but we haven't and don't.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He has a couple of plays that you don't see often, the wheel routes he used with Neal and Oku last year were effective. I think the little seam play with Denarious Moore against Florida last year was well-designed. The Zach Rogers play vs. UAB was innovative. He isn't reinventing the game but I have been satisfied so far.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't see anything to try and get our RBs the ball away from the problem that is our offensive line. We don't swing it to them or sweep them at all with guards or tackles pulling. Our attempt at running is a read style run that we just cannot do because our current back appears to have poor vision and our linemen tend to never leave the spot in which they take their stances.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I hear ya. I'm withholding judgement until I believe we have a true home run hitter in the backfield. I don't believe we have someone who can get to the edge quick enough, unless it is Devrin, to make a difference on wide plays. I think we know who Poole is at this point, and it isn't all bad. It just could be better.

16. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

If Cincy had played NC State before us I would have been scared to death.

Sure wish Kendrall Thompkins had stayed with us. That dude is legit and we would hardly have missed a beat subbing him in for Hunter.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He takes the blame for the loss, in my opinion. I don't care about Hunter being gone. You don't spend 40% of the ballgame with an option you know won't work against Montana or Cincinnati.

Seriously, what games did Poole really win for us? The focus early last year was on him. We beat UT-Martin. He was out most of the UAB game. We didn't win another game until Bray came in and shredded every team at the end of the schedule. Poole doesn't win games. Bray was essentially undefeated if you don't count the officiating travesty of the UNC game.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011