2011 Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Sep 29, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Well, I never thought I'd be the one starting this thread.

Initial gut feeling says Phils/Tigers. Phils are just too strong when actually caring and I just think Verlander is good enough to carry the Tigers.

I'm still dreaming of a Cards/Yankees Series in my lifetime though, but not happening this year.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Came here to start this thread.

Stupid mod.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

From my Yankee fan perspective, I'm terrified of the Tigers. Seeing Verlander multiple times is never a good thing.

4. tankervol

tankervol Member

I think that is the one team that the Yankees did not want to play in the 1st round.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I don't think any team in the AL wanted to play Detroit.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Didn't see the Boston faithful turning on Tito this quickly.

7. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Who does Boston play in the first round?

8. CardinalVol

No way in the world would I want to see Verlander twice in a 7 game series, much less a 5 gamer.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Pebble Beach.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

fyp.

Maybe it's my anti-Texas bias, but I'm picking:

AL
    Tampa over Texas
    Detroit over NYY

Detroit over Tampa

NL
    Milwaukee over Arizona
    Philly over St Louis

Philly over Milwaukee

WS
    Philly over Detroit in Six

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Change that to Detroit over Philly in 7 and you have my predictions.

12. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Too soon?

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

If it gets to seven games the Tigers are going to do everything they can to get Verlander pitching and I could see them taking it. I'm a huge Verlander fan because he came from Old Dominion so maybe I'm biased, but the numbers back it up: His stuff is absolutely filthy sick. Philly is the obvious pick which tells me they aren't winning it all, but I just don't know who else to take right now. I think Milwaukee can give Philly some serious trouble if Philly's offense starts to struggle (which it's prone to do). I'm not saying Milwaukee's offense will be scary, but they'll still put runs on the board regardless of Philly's pitching staff. If they can get to Philly's middle relievers, Philly will be in trouble.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't really have a dog left in the hunt, and I have no love for the Yankees, but CC vs. Verlander has the makings of something epic.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I agree with the Philly love, but I don't think any NL team really wants the Cardinals right now, either.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Huge shot in the arm winning the way they did.

Too many questions in the pen to make a serious run.

17. WM

WM Active Member

Tigers and Rangers seem to be hitting on all cylinders in September. Hard to pick against them.
    Not sure how the Phils could lose this, the Brewers and D-Backs are such good stories though, wouldn't shock me to see the Brewers make a run.

18. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

As a few others have mentioned, I'm scared to go with the Phillies because of their offense, especially against ramped up pitching. We saw what they did last year against a great staff.. That starting rotation though, damn. I'd honestly rank the Yankees fourth of the AL teams still alive. That pitching between Sabathia and Rivera is just underwhelming.

Phillies over Cardinals
    Brewers over Diamondbacks
    Rays over Rangers
    Tigers over Yankees

Phillies over Brewers
    Tigers over Rays

Phillies over Tigers.

Going with Philly's arms to carry the bats, despite concerns about the latter.

19. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

20. CardinalVol

Tonight is one of the few non-Cardinal games I am deliberately sitting down to watch because of that potential. Probably means it will be 9-8 and both will be chased by the 4th.