True or Bogus? WVU Accepted

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fl0at_, Sep 27, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

WVU to SEC announcement expected soon...

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like, considering the other possibilities.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

WVU getting bad press over the assault and battery following the LSU win makes it seem less plausible. I'm sure these are all "inside sources." I believe radio chatter almost as much as I believe internet chatter. Which means Internet chatter about radio chatter is less than completely unreliable.

But... we need a 14th, and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of applicants.

4. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I'm good with it. West Virginia just seems like a perfect fit, plus it makes sense geographically thus not moving a current member out of their division.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think Morgantown is an awesome sports town, would be a great road trip, and they are honest with themselves about their academic reputation. In other words, they demand their athletics be worth something, which is what the SEC is all about.

6. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

I wish Virginia Tech would come instead. WV's not bad though, if true.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wonder how much the academic requirements will hurt WVU?

Bruce Irvin couldn't get in to Tennessee and he is one of their key players on D. I just keep thinking about that stupid math class JUCO's need to be eligible in the SEC.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You have to imagine guys like Chris Henry, Pacman Jones, Steve Slaton, Noel Devine, etc. might have had some difficulties, but let's be honest, if Auburn can figure out a way to keep Nick Fairley in school, surely to goodness West Virginia can do it to.

When WVU has been really successful they have been able to recruit Pennsylvania and the Northeast well like Slaton, and snag a few guys from the South, like Devine, Pat White, etc.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm sure they'll get it figured out but the first year or two could be rough

10. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Same feeling for me. Morgantown seems like a good town to watch a game at though

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Well, we now have the Morgantown television market cornered, if true.

All 114 of'em.

Schools I would have (honestly) preferred, instead:
    1. OU
    2. OSU
    3. UNC
    4. DUKE
    5. FSU
    6. MTSU (laugh all you want - but they're eerily similar in television markets, academic standing and athletic accomplishment)

Slive officially waited until last call to get a hook up.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

But other than potential revenue sharing, why would the market ratings be of any interest to the fans?

13. Tenacious D

Primarily, two things drive the conference bus, and largely the fortunes of each of it's members: money and prestige (i.e. superior product, heightened competition, compelling rivalries, etc.).

WVU brings neither to the table, at least in sufficient strength or duration.

You do your conference, and in turn your team, a disservice by weakening its brand, and that's all I see WVU really doing. It looks like the SEC is slumming for fatties.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I am not for expansion in the least, but WVU athletically has had greater consistency the last thirty years in the two sports that matter than a host of SEC teams, like Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, and South Carolina. Now, does that have something to do with weaker competition? Sure, to some extent. But WVU seems to actually care whether their sports teams win or lose. I can't always say that about other members of our league.

I still contend that WVU would get the SEC into the Pennsylvania market and expand the brand towards the Northeast. Obviously that is a more long-term effect, but I think the possibility is there.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

When was the last time MTSU played in a Final Four or hammered Oklahoma or Georgia in a BCS bowl?

16. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

What have they accomplished in football or basketball that is even close? and we are laughing.

17. Tenacious D

It's called hyperbole, gents, but there is some truth to it:

MTSU actually has a larger television market (Nashville to Morgantown).

And besides, what has West Virginia accomplished, ever? In any sport? And how consistently have they been able to replicate even so few things? Two words: Not very. As in, "Not very much.", "Not very often." and , "Not very well."

They bring nothing, literally, nothing, to the conference (enlighten me, if anyone can think of something). Money? No. Prestige? No. Television? No. Exposure? No. Better on-field product? No. Better in-class results? No. National fan base? No. Long-standing rivalries (with current SEC teams)? No.

And given the many other far (FAR) more worthy candidates out there that are more deserving of the SEC's attention - UNC / Duke / Mizzou / OU / OK St. / FSU just to name a very few - it's sort of embarassing that Slive would have even taken their call, to be honest. That they would receive serious consideration is appalling.

And I know that Huggs is their coach, but I don't care if he remains and Lombardi is resurrected to lead the football team - WVU has no business even being considered for SEC membership.

So says me, Uncle Logic, Captain Reason and the entire Cast of the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I've already posted the numbers for merchandise sales. If West Virginia doesn't have a large following, I'd be interested to see who is buying all that gear. Next, as to on field and on court product, West Virginia is, and has been pretty much since integration, better than half the SEC at both sports.

Now, I'm going to have to take a break and go get medical attention. I laughed so hard at idea that North Carolina and Duke would leave the ACC that I've done damage to my ribcage.

19. Tenacious D

I stand corrected on their merchandise sales.

65835_1620145594908_1574461628_1424583_83326_s.jpg

westfuckinvirginia1.jpg

They'll fit right in.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not a huge fan of WVU coming on (strictly from a geographical standpoint, I think one of the biggest draws of college athletics is the regional feel of the games) but [uck fay] Florida State. I don't want them anywhere near the SEC.