IMO, IYAM, TIFWIW I think this is Dooley's most important game to date/UGa Week

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanbill, Oct 2, 2011.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

The Florida game was supposed to be competitive and even after losing their best player, the Vols still made the game a challenge. But a win was just going to be an added bonus, we weren't supposed to win. UGa is different. The Bulldogs are struggling, Richt's job is very close to being on the line and it's at Neyland. This is a game that's a toss up at worst imo. A win here is huge for Dooley and the program as a whole. It sets the rest of this October gauntlet up much more nicely. I think USCe is vastly overrated and that the Vols can go 2-2 in this four game stretch as long as they remain confident. And... thankfully, UGa just made it a little easier:

Georgia Bulldogs linebacker Cornelius Washington charged with DUI - ESPN

My worries with UGa wasn't really the defense, but he's a pretty good pass rusher and Bray has to be smiling knowing Washington shouldn't see the field Saturday.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Well said. This is the most winnable of our toss-up games, but it is just that--a toss up. It's a pecking order game. It's a progress-measuring game. This is a big one.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Before the season started, it was speculated that this game could be big. I liked the Florida game going into it because we were a young, cocky team with nothing to lose. Well, with this game we are a young, inexperienced team who feels the pressure to make a statement at home. Hope I'm wrong on that.

At the same time, Georgia's offense just hasn't looked very good. And our passing game looks to still be potent enough to give anyone not named LSU or Bama trouble in this conference.

We have a LOT to gain from a win here. Tons. In national perception, conference perception, recruiting, bragging rights, etc. We win this game, and Richt looks like a weak sister. I don't want to see him get fired, but if he does we are in prime position to cherry pick from their recruiting class.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'm not sure who Uga could find to replace him (I don't think Dooley ever leaves us for UGa personally) so I'm not concerned with whether Richt keeps his job or not. You're right about everything you say a win will do for us. But on the flip side I think a loss is very demoralizing. I think we make a statement either way. A win shows we are improving, we are on the way back. A loss basically means we haven't gotten anywhere in the past two years. That again though, is just my humble opinion.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hate to agree, but a loss to this year's UGA team would point to marginal improvement at best.

6. hallowed_hill

I'm blown away by how many are chalking this up as a win. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore, but what has made anyone think this is an easy win?

7. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think even without Hunter, we're still better than UGa offensively and I'm not overly impressed with their defense. It must be nice to get both Mississippi schools on the schedule in the same year. I didn't think Miss St was worthy of their preseason ranking and it's showed. I think most here will say it's a toss-up, but as you said, it's our most winnable toss up. I even think we should be favored.

8. hallowed_hill

I like us as a slight favorite as well.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I watched uga play.
    I'm joking kind of. Crowell will probably get a big run and Charles will make a play or two but Tennessee is a better team.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  10. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i think it cld go either way, that being said, it would be Dooley's biggest win to date

11. hallowed_hill

I hear ya. I agree. Maybe I should clarify. I would pick us today, but barely. It's essentially a toss-up, but if we lose I think we'll see an epic meltdown.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3 point favorites baby.

I hate hearing how UGA is back on track after beating a directional school and the Mississippis. They have an anemic offense and a very average defense. Tennessee is better by quite a bit on O, twice as bad on special teams and it's about even on the d.

I think Bray will make the plays and Murray doesn't have enough help in the end.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

A Tennessee loss Saturday night would tell me they are not one bit better than they were last year. It also sets up a four game losing streak. I think South Carolina is lousy, but I can't imagine what bad physical shape UT is going to be in after LSU and Alabama get done with them.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Have you made a call on the game yet.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

No. Probably do that in Friday's Trap.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think by any means Georgia will be an "easy" game. No such thing for Tennessee in the SEC. I am just saying if we lose to Georgia at home, we are not a good football team. That's the truth. And like Hat said, we'll be at the start of a 4 loss streak and be staring at 6-6 in the face as long as we don't quit.

Georgia will tell the tale of this season, regardless of their skill or level of play. Make no mistake. This is the true swing game, and that was obvious from the start of the season. We have to win one or more of the next 4 games to show any kind of improvement from the last two years. If we don't, the 2012 "10+ wins" talk is delusional. 8 wins becomes the talk, and Dooley is 100 % dependent on a strong 2013 campaign.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm not chalking this up as a w, but this is easily the biggest game to date for the coaching staff. This is one you've got to win or a lot of the fan base is going to turn.

18. Beechervol

10-4

Close game. Im going 31-23 UT its time to turn a corner, its not a big turn, but a turn.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seriously, if Tennessee doesn't win this, you have to start worrying about Dooley's ability to win the big games. The division is up for grabs.

20. Beechervol

A loss eliminates UT (even tho it would still need a lot of help) from the east.
    UGA would be all but eliminated only thing saving them is their west schedule.

Big game for both coaches.