Barbara Dooley to sportswriters: ‘You’ve got Mama’s rile up now, buddy!’

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VolDad, Oct 6, 2011.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Don’t mess with Mama’s baby boy.

That was the basic message Barbara Dooley delivered to Knoxville sportswriters Andrew Gribble and Dave Hooker and radio listeners who were tuning into “Newsmakers with Tim Bryant” on Athens station WGAU-AM 1340 Thursday morning.

Gribble and Hooker both cover the Tennessee Volunteers, who are coached by the youngest son of Barbara and Vince Dooley, [ddiapos].

“At some point, one or the other speculates on [ddiapos] and the temperature of the seat beneath him,” Bryant told the AJC afterward. “Turns out Barbara Dooley was listening, and she lives right around the corner.”

So Barbara, who has her own show at the station (owned by Cox Media Group), drove in to give the writers her two cents worth. “She just about kicked the door in,” Bryant said.

Following is the exchange:

Barbara Dooley to sportswriters: ‘You’ve got Mama’s rile up now, buddy!’ | UGA sports blog

Listen to audio here: http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/archive/01154/Dooley-defends-son_1154929a.mp3

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Heard that clip today.

Dooley has to feel like that kid in school that's mother always shows up and makes a mess of things.

3. Beechervol

I think thats what makes it funny and embarrassing at the same time.

4. volup2uous

volup2uous New Member

Barbara is me!! My son and daughter are always saying "Mom, I can handle it"!!

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Volup is here. Welcome darling! Post more.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

100% truth.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

She really needs to stop. It's embarrassing for her son and the school.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You mean you never had your mom take up for you on a public forum?

9. TRUVOL

TRUVOL New Member

LMAO when I heard it. That is awesome. You gotta admit she is one tough lady. I'd like to see her go off on some georgia fan talking s*** about her son.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'd just like to see her go away.

11. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

/cringe

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

May need to clarify. I don't desire to see her leave the planet, just get to a point to where a mic is not in her vicinity.

13. vol_in_ar

vol_in_ar Member

i thought DD got her calmed down, after he told her to stop doing Finebaums show

14. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

I thought it was hilarious, she's crazy yet a mom , but she is right. And a distraction Derek doesn't need. He's got his hands full already.

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Looks like mommy gonna do what mommy wants. Hope DD has a thick skin from both outside and inside the family comments.

16. volup2uous

volup2uous New Member

Thanks, lovin the site!!

17. Beechervol

Its time to see some improvement coach. Expectations are what they are at UT, but most understand the situation and expectations are reasonable by most. We are getting beat by the same things every week.

Richt coached like he was on the hot seat tonight, pulling out whatever he had to win. We had more or less 3 weeks to get ready for this game, and it seemed like we just overlooked the opportunity.

Mama may not think he's on the hot seat, (and right now I don't think he is either) but its getting uncomfortable.