Arian Foster Insight of a Fulmer era Vol

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Chiutfan, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7093986 [/video]

Some really interesting comments in this video.. watch for Flummo to pop in and say I always supported Arian... really? really Phil?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I watched about two minutes and then realized I don't care enough about him.

I'm usually torn between whether I should love him or hate him. If he had been able to hold on to a football inside the 20s Fulmer may still be coach here.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

High and tight would have really helped him here

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Im glad he is having the success that he is, just wish it would have started earlier..

5. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I've said it for years (an no I had no idea he would blow up in the NFL). There were times when Arian seemed to be the only Vol on the field that gave a shit about winning. He had some costly mistakes, and his media persona didn't help him a bit, but he never had a good offensive line to run behind.

6. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

maybe fulmer shouldve used him more.. 500 yards in his senior year? pffffffffft

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Dude had a hell of a stiff arm, considering he was always criticized for being a bit of a soft runner. Maybe the best one since Henry.

[​IMG]

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2005 Vandy game was one of those times. Even the vaunted defense looked like they were barely trying.

I don't think at any point you could even make an argument for more than 2-3 offensive players being better than him. Thus, hard to blame him for any struggles.

9. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

The 05 Vandy game is always the first one that comes to mind. There was a Notre Dame (I don't remember the year) that stands out in my memory as well.

10. CardinalVol

That would have been 2005 as well.

Flip side of that is all through 08 he looked like he could have not cared less. IMO, he quit.

11. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

youre right, if you watch the video, he says as much...

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He definitely got a lot less PT, seemingly as punishment for fumbling. Kind of odd to wait til his 5th year to start doing that.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's on Phil, IMO. No one on that '08 team seemed to give a shit.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He definitely got a lot less PT, seemingly as punishment for fumbling. Kind of odd to wait til his 5th year to start doing that.

15. CardinalVol

The stories I have been told about that year......

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Do tell

17. CardinalVol

Players complaining about Clawson from day 1. Phil shrugging it off. The general sense that he didn't care. Everything you would think it would be.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Offensive line coach whining to the head coach that he doesn't understand why the offensive coordinator is doing what he does. Head coach telling the offensive coordinator to change what he's doing.

Offensive players telling the head coach the offense is too complicated and the head coach telling the OC to change what he's doing.

19. CardinalVol

The first time I heard this stuff I swore it was just urban legends. Then I kept hearing it, and hearing it.

The degree to which he lost control of the program is amazing.

20. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

One could view that as a positive.