LSU post game thread.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JayVols, Oct 15, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Wow. I've seen prison rapes more gentle than this. Without Bray, we don't have a legit shot offensively. Stating the obvious, Matt Simms couldn't be the QB at MTSU. He was 6-20 today. He completed 4 more passes to our guys than he did their guys. He just doesn't have 'it'. Teague is Teddy Gaines redux. He gets picked on constantly. He is not a DB. It speaks volumes about how devoid of quality talent we must be in the defensive backfield that he is still out there.

Once again, we come out and lay an egg in the 3rd quarter. We had 3 possessions in the whole 2nd half. Guys, we are a long way off from being SEC relevant. At least we are 1/2 way to getting through the October gauntlet.

Sorry for the downer post, but I'm sure you all are as frustrated and sick of not mattering as I am.

Go Vols.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Expected result. We were undermanned, underaged and undertalented today. LSU just lined up and used our weaknesses against us. I'm not particularly bothered because I saw things I liked and our problems can be fixed by getting older, into the weight room and keep having solid recruiting classes. I actually liked today better than last week, if you can believe that. I'm also thinking positive about the Carolina game, IF we aren't mentally toast from the non-vaselined prison rape we will get in Tuscaloosa.

3. JayVols

We showed up to a gun fight with a knife.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

it may have appeared to "get away" from us in the 2nd half, but this game was never close. We're void of talent almost everywhere, we have no confidence, very little pride and most importantly, we just don't want it. I think the only one of those traits that you can consider blaming on the coaching staff at this point is the wanting it part, but I don't know if you could let General Neyland, Bear and Lombardi come in to coach these boys up. They just suck. This team is missing its best Defensive Linemen, Linebacker, Defensive Back, Wide Receiver and Quarterback. Not many teams are going to be all that good minus those key components. Factor in that this team was already average with them, well this is what happens. There was nothing about this game to get excited about, but if you really expected to find something then you haven't been paying close enough attention this season.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And got in a stab or two.

Bray doesn't throw those 2 picks

6. JayVols

I admit that I felt better after the game tonight than I did last week.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Maggitt is growing into a very good player

8. JayVols

I like that guy. I guess I felt better tonight because I finally accepted reality. We are still too young and too thin.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Defensive speed -- or lack thereof -- on our team is atrocious. That has to be corrected through recruiting because otherwise I don't know how you fix it. Once LSU figured out to rush to the edge, it was ballgame.

10. JayVols

We haven't had decent containment on the edges all year. Speed helps, but playing assignments can work too. This has been a gripe of mine all year. I was glad to see a blitz or two out of our D coordinator today.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I honestly remember very little about this game, but I know I watched Ben Martin chase a guy to the edge 3-4 times and realize around the hash mark that he wasn't going to get there so he immediately starting changing his angle and still never got to the guy.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It doesn't help that our safeties don't tackle well and we get almost no defensive pressure.

13. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i saw where LSU had the ball for over 38 minutes, compared to UT's having it for over 21. when your O can't keep the ball to give the D a rest you aren't going to have a chance

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

As awful as we are, if we played florida right now I think we could win.

Be interesting to see what happens to sc on how lattimore turns out of

15. JayVols

Speaking of, has anyone else noticed that our DBs can't get off a block and help force on the edge to save their lives?

16. JayVols

Looks like their dancing with receivers. If you read run, you gotta help on the edge and not 10-15 yds downfield. At least I thought so.

17. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I agree. Last week was shit. This is the first game where Hunter and JJ would have made very little impact on the outcome.

18. JayVols

Good point. Maybe I'm asking too much to be semi-competent fundamentally.

I can handle being out athleted. I can't handle a lack of fundamentals.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only db Tennessee has that plays physical is Eric Gordon

20. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Brent Brewer is a total waste at safety. Needs to be moved to OLB ASAP.