Possibility of Getting Rid of Coaches?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Unimane, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Is there some possibility? Obviously not Dooley, I wouldn't want him gone anyway. However, I think a few of the position coaches are in over their heads or simply suck. On the top of the list would be the secondary. It's quite obvious they are massively underachieving. Buck Fitzgerald had some pretty eye-opening comments on another site regarding the coaching of Joseph. In my opinion, we have too many decent players there for them to be this shitty. Marsalis Teague, I am wholly convinced, is a far better player than he has shown this year due to his lack of coaching. In fact, I thought he was pretty good last year.

Otherwise, I think we could stand to lose Hiestand, although I still think he's moderately competent coach. We could just do better, in my opinion. The OL does, no doubt in my mind, have talent, certainly more than they are showing or being allowed to show.

As for the rest of the coaches, I like them, for the most part, especially Sirmon (who's a real steal) and Baggett. I even think Hinshaw is better than many give him credit for. However, I am interested if Dooley can roll like his mentor Saban and be willing to ruthlessly cut out the fat from the staff, or if he's going to keep his own Pat Washington's on the payroll because his wife might get pissed.

As a relatively optimistic person, I think next year has some real potential for a solid 8-9 wins, but I can't help but think that won't happen with some of the lack of quality coaching certain areas of the team are receiving.

2. Refugee

Refugee New Member

Getting rid of Hiestand and Joseph wouldn't bother me a bit. For the rest, I would think it would have to be a pretty clear upgrade to justify cutting them loose - something like Mike Stoops for Wilcox. Don't see that particular situation going down, but something along those lines.

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I would give the entire staff at least another year to show what they can do, people just don't grasp how depleted the roster is.

4. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I understand that the roster is depleted, but have you ever seen a football team run the same exact play three times in a row in multiple games that gets stuffed every time? I think Chaney is a great QB tutor and has done good things with Bray, but I still think his game day play calling is terrible. JMO

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

The roster speaks for itself. Below average talent can get better with good coaching. Good talent can become great with good coaching. You have to leave the door open to release staff members when needed. Waiting a year can cost the HC his job.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think that excuse works a lot more with Wilcox than with Chaney. Chaney has (had) some weapons. The first half playcalling against UF was horrible. The refusal to exploit the middle that UGA continuously gave up with their true freshmen linebackers was also quite irritating.

Heistand's entire starting lineup has been in place for a decent while now. They've not improved at all. James Stone was a strength last year and has now gotten to the point where he just sucks.

7. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I would say that they have regressed

8. Unimane

Well, to be fair, I think the OL was a strength when they were rolling over the weaker sisters of the league. Simms was getting killed in our earlier games, just like this year.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Saturday was their best day and it was against a very good DL. No reason they can't use that and play well going forward. It won't lead to a win Saturday, but they shouldn't get embarrassed like they did against UGA and UF no reason for that. They are not SEC elite yet, but they should be able to hold their own.
    If they can't take Saturdays play and build on it the rest of this year and continue to improve, you have to make some changes.

10. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

you guys may be on to something!

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're always on to something.

12. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Well I'm on to the Amstel Light .

13. Unimane

I realize I'm not the first to bring up the issue. However, I found the post by Fitzgerald revealing and was most interested in the actual possibility of getting rid of Joseph, rather than saying we should.