Blunt Truth Trauma

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by O+W=H., Oct 25, 2011.

1. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

...And just like that, Dooley had said it. Had laid bare the truth about the state of the Tennessee football program. Had said what no fan ever seems willing to admit to themselves. Had shown that for all his goofy analogies and quick witted quips, he really does get what he's up against.

Dooley: "There's this illusion sometimes that when you're a starter at Tennessee, you're a good player."

This one quote tells all we need to know about how far Volunteer football has to go.

2. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

Id rather him be honest than blowing smoke up our pants legs.... We will get there, but you cant mold heros out of the crap he was left with.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

For the life of me I don't understand why some of our fans cannot grasp this concept. The program is far from where it needs to be with regards to player talent and depth. Obviously the best players are going to play, but like Dooley said that doesn't mean they are great. It simply means they are the best available right now. Any person that considers themselves a Vol fan should know this and temper their expectations. We are heading in the right direction but miracles are not accomplished over night or in this case 1 or 2 years. I've said it countless times but folks need to give this staff a chance to re-stock the roster before making any judgements.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It shouldn't take his comment for our fans to realize it.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Key word for some.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Do not agree. Zach Rogers = beast.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jarrod Shaw was a monster. Remember Matt McGlothin?

Daniel Hoof is an all time great

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I can't imagine the players taking this very well.

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Probably should have something more along the lines of "some players not ready" instead of just saying "not good."

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Who cares? There's no need to sugar coat it. If they feel as though Dooley is wrong, they know what needs to be done. Prove it

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just making the observation. In fact, much of the message was pointed at the players I would imagine.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think you would be surprised how oblivious the players are to the media circus around them. Only a handful of players pay attention to it, I've found.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

comments like that get back.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That's not been my general experience with the college game. Maybe pros, I don't know.

The only time I remember something really filtering down was the John Adams article he wrote the week before Alabama calling for Fulmer's head. That was a pretty ugly week.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

"There's this illusion sometimes that when you're a coach at Tennessee, you're a good coach."

-- The Locker Room

I don't see a roster full of world beaters at Florida, Georgia or South Carolina, and 1 of those three blew our minds, 2 of the three were penciled in loses for most, prior to injuries and loss of players like JJ.

So... our bad players are that much worse than the bad players on the above three? Or are we just still young(er), and bad(erer).

17. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Although the coach quote is accurate, I don't believe we have enough information or data to make this call just yet. Dooley and staff need a chance to get some kids enrolled first. Florida, Georgia, and south Carolina may not have "world beaters" throughout their roster but they certainly have much more talent and depth than we do at the moment.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No problem with giving Dooley more time. But let us call it like it is: Dooley has spent a cycle and a few days recruiting people that "fit his program." If they are bad... maybe his program is bad, as he is recruiting those who "fit."

If you take a left hander, and try to make him a right handed center... you can't complain that lack of talent is what is causing him to suck. That is a coaching issue. Some things we don't have control over, but other things we do. If we continue to make those mistakes, that is not the players' fault.

Dooley will and should get more time, but he needs to put his money where his mouth is, right damn quick. Beating Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Four (4) "Buy me Drinkie" teams ain't doing it, period.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

They should play better, then.

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

His staff is getting good players as Hunter, Rogers, Lane, Johnson, Maggit, and others have shown so I don't buy the "If they are bad...maybe his program is bad" bit. Bottom line, I don't know if Dooley is the man for the job or not but neither do you. They're working with the young guys and trying to use the juniors and seniors that they do have to the best of their abilities. I know and agree that it's frustrating right now but it is what it is. They need more time.