Any Of You's Guy's Had Any Experience With Preemie Babies?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NYY, Oct 26, 2011.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just got told today that my wife could go at any moment as the dilation has made it to 5 already. Problem is she's still at 35 weeks, which is the latter stages of premature birth. I've read horror stories online until I'm just about over reading the stuff. It is a boy and I am familiar with what doctors here call "lazy white boy syndrome" where they tend to not want to breathe on their own for a bit. Racist as hell IYAM, but I digress.

Just wondering if any of you know firsthand experiences with children being born early and some obstacles that may cause along the way.

2. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

My brother-in-law was much earlier than 35 weeks (I think 29 weeks) is about 6'5 and is a doctor now. I know there were some issues obviously early on but nothing lingering. Mt nephew was 36 weeks and had no issues.

I guess I'm not the type to freak too much until there is a reason to... but it's easier said on my end. I think my wife will be 34 weeks this Sunday.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm not usually one to freak out about anything. And what sucks is trying to do some actual research on it online and all you see is a bunch of folks posting all these war stories. Combined with our previous pregnancy history and this one being a problem too for so many weeks, makes me a tad bit uneasy.

4. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I would say I understand but I really don't because I've never been through it. I have found some of the worse things to do are get on the internet though in dealing with pregnancy issues.

My sister-in-law was in the hospital for a month on bed rest before my nephew was born and like I said he was perfect. I guess the only answer is to try and have faith; which is not the easiest thing to do.

5. volinbham

volinbham Member

Best of luck - T & P sent

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

If any baby can get past 32 weeks modern medicine has figured out a way to make it work. 35-36 weeks is not perfect, but don't stress about this more than you have to. My daughter was born at 37 weeks and she was a healthy kid.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i believe BPV had premature twins (forgive me if my memory is wrong). i was born over a month premature and had no problems (34 years ago too).

i find reading crap on the internet doesn't help a lot (my wife has diagnosed 50 things that are wrong with her fertility that the doctor said was garbage). you have to trust the doctors, but i know it is hard because a lot of the time they refuse to give straight answers.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Have seen a few that weighed less than 2 pounds. It can be kind of rough because they stay at the hospital for so long, but a lot of these little guys do alright once they grow a bit. Good luck with everything.

9. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

My brother and his wife are going through this right now with my neice. She was born at 36 wks and she has had a lot of problems ranging from breathing to a recently found tear in her heart. I dont mean to scare you, just giving you input. I know it easy for me to say, but try to not stress about it, there really isnt anything you can do either way. Just keep praying to whatever god you pray to and prepare for it the best way you can. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers and I pray for the best for you guys.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I do appreciate the prayers and input.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My wife is a neonatal intensive care nurse. Has been for 17 years. I just asked her what was typical of a 35 weeker, she said some minor respiratory issues (she said some are just fine while others may need a c-pap or to be on the vent for a little bit. The vent is not that bad, really. There is a step above the vent called an oscillator. That's bad.) and maybe some laziness as it relates to eating. May use a feeding tube for a bit, but they are more often than not just fine. They just take those precautions. If you were talking 26 week preemies, then I would be concerned.

I have a niece that was 3 months premature. She is a happy healthy normal 5 year old now. I know you are concerned, and this is not an ideal situation. However, it is not a worse case scenario. Relax, be there for your wife. My wife said more often than not everything with a 35 week preemie is just fine. Will be offering some prayers for you and your family.

12. JayVols

The unit my wife works in had a 15 oz baby girl that lived, believe it or not. I saw her at 1.1 lbs. Crazy.....

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Appreciate that, Jay. She's been on bedrest since 22 weeks. We went from that initial scare to over the past 12 weeks feeling more secure each time. So secure that this is the first appointment I didn't attend. You then get this news and it's a similar feeling to the news we got 12 weeks ago.

Long story short, after Little Man, no more kids for nyy.

14. JayVols

Stay strong, my friend.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've got a pic of one of the littler ones holding my finger. Dang thing looks like a tree branch.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hang in there, NYY. The fact that the doctors are aware of the possibility of early delivery should give you confidence in their abilities to get your family and child through this healthy.

17. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

My little guy was 36 weeks and he's fine...the major organs and things have developed so no worries and hang in there. Everything will be just fine.

18. JayVols

I thought I was looking at a miniature Barbie doll when I saw her.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wow, I've chugged bigger quantities of liquor than that.

20. JayVols

She had MAJOR problems that will be lifelong issues, but that little rascal made it. I was astonished.