The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Yesterday was non-nonsensical to me. EFSF is based on 500% leveraged bonds? Greece is only taking a 29% haircut? Or is it that a secret QE3 is in the works? Either way, I like commodities - gold and silver. But I'm mostly cash right now.

Of note today, Groupon makes their IPO. In case you wanted a slight exposure - as a speculative play, GSV Capital Corp (GSVC) has investments in private ventures like Twitter, Facebook, and Groupon. If GRPN does well, I think it could encourage others as well.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Groupon should have a strong offering. Hell, they don't have any costs.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this market doesn't make a lot of sense to me. some very overpriced looking stocks. particurally in the high yield area.

4. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I don't get it, but it seems a near consensus that we're going higher.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I keep my money buried in jars around the yard.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Boobie-trapped jars I imagine?

7. Anteros

Anteros New Member

Uranium, Glencore, BHP Billiton,

Disregard the media hype; I don't trust Chinese companies at the moment. Sino-Forest, anyone? I know some guys who will swear up and down that they don't practice basic accounting over there. Ghost cities, cheap capital, inflation, etc. GDP is reported by heads of municipalities/districts/whatever. Supposedly, there are benefits to reporting inflated GDP numbers.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i use to do feasability studies for chinese resorts when i came out of college and we completely ignored anything provided by teh govt. even their population stats were way off.

9. Anteros

Anteros New Member

Eh, we're probably just underestimating the "work ethic" of the Chinese people or are just too scared of those Asians, Droski.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You know it

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's not because the chinese are incompetent (though i have a lot of clients with factories over there that tell me the quality of work is horrible), it's because the govt deliberately lies to the rest of the world.

12. Anteros

Anteros New Member

Exactly.

13. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

They are a long term investment of mine.

14. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Solid today

15. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I called ANF. Europe was pretty much the only reason their stock had been growing because domestically, they are mediocre

16. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

GSVC still killing it

17. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Is Germany for real? I fully expected a bailout and monetization of debt - therefore bought some gold and silver. got killed. surely they come to their senses and quit acting like cocaine-addled tea partiers

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they'll bail em out and we probably will have to give some money too. gold and silver are huge bubbles so i'm not sure thsi will have an impact on the prices.

19. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

bubble for a reason. few good alternatives. although the fed looks intent to make TLT one

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Where do you live?