Another split for the fan base over a coach?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by SavageOrangeJug, Oct 31, 2011.

1. It has already started.

A bitter online argument broke out among Vol fans on another site yesterday. Half think Dooley is 'the man', and the other half think otherwise.

A few of us agreed, that same ones who were Fulmersexuals, are the same ones in Dooley's corner now.

Here we go again.

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Not surprising. Everyone felt good about the South Carolina game (myself included) and for the offense to lay an egg like that pissed everyone off. We're now in a similar situation to last year sitting at 3-5 having beaten the teams we were supposed to and not getting that "signature" win yet. Injuries have definitely impacted our season, but I guess I'm still somewhere in the middle. I don't know if Dooley's the guy or not.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It started when he was hired.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes it did

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

B-but... Orange pants. VFL. Witty comments. Nice hair

6. Did you hear that his dad is Vince Dooley?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not ready to say he needs to be fired, but there's precious little evidence to say he's the man. I get a little apprehensive that there are so many people who seem sold on him solely based on the reasons IPO jokingly listed.

8. Tex_Volfan.

Tex_Volfan. Only Mod Approved Posts

He needs 2 more years.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's going to have to win a lot next year to get another.

10. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i'm not a fulmer fan which should be well documented by now. however i still think its a little early to start judging dooley. fact is no matter who is coach there needs to be 3-4 recruiting classes with the shit that was left over after kiffin/fulmer span. i think you will see improvement next year. depth is an issue.

11. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Dooley is doing a good job on the recruiting trail. If he doesn't work out, at least he will have give us a serious talent upgrade,

12. cotton

Of course we are going to have an upgrade. The program was decimated by some poor classes at Fulmer's end followed by two coaching changes in just over a year. We are a power program that is going to have talented people come to play no matter who is coaching given any continuity at all.

Any semi-competent coach can make UT an 8-4 program that never really threatens the big boys in the league. I'm looking for a sign that we have more than that, and I'm still having difficulty finding it.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

1. I think there was a percentage that liked him no matter what because he is the coach, and will not be able come to grips with him not getting the job done.

2. Another group that looked at his creds and said he was a risk, but could be ok. And was willing to give him the chance to prove himself.

3. And the last group that said his creds are awful and he was hired because his last name was Dooley and he worked for Saban. Should have never been give the chance and the quicker he is gone the better.

I think there are some that fall in between 1,2, and 3.

I started out in 2, but he has forced me to take a step toward 3. He shouldn't be fired after this year, but year 4 is dependent upon what he does next year as to whether or not he is here.

14. cotton

I started out in 3 but have been trying to give an honest effort at finding evidence to change my mind. I am still in 3.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was at three when he was hired. I was hoping Bray and the two WRs would stay healthy and change my mind this year.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I started off in 3 (and a mass text cursing tirade to my buddies). I then moved to 2 after hearing him talk. I am fast moving back to 3 because our team has looked like a bunch of dyslexics trying to put together a Big Wheel using Chinese instructions. The 'adjustments' at the half are nonexistent. The play calling and in-game decisions seem to be on par with a mediocre middle school coach. I don't want to hear that we are young, inexperienced, undertalented, blah, blah, blah. It takes ZERO talent, experience, or age to give max effort and to know the snap count.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

And the "Walleye Guru" goes off.

18. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I started out at 2, and I have stayed at 2 the whole time. There are some definite concerns about the coaching staff in general, but I just can't see myself falling to 3 until Dooley gets a decent amount of talent on the field. Next year will tell me a lot. I am not expecting us to be great, but depending on the recruiting class, we should have some solid depth at every position on the field.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I started a 2, orange pants briefly pulled me over to 1, and wide-eyed coaching decisions have brought me back to 2. I'll give him next year to win 8 games. If not, GTFO. If he only wins 8 games next year, I'll give him another to win 10. if not, GTFO.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I was a 1 and am now a 2.