AJ Johnson

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Nov 3, 2011.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

This young man's future is extremely bright. So here's my question...who moves next year? Correct me if I'm wrong but Austin Johnson currently occupies the middle right? If Lathers get cleared does he move to the inside or does AJ move inside and Lathers outside? Also, Santos has the size right now to occupy the middle LB spot. The only knock on him is his cover skills. He'll be a beast of a run stuffer though.

Here's the article on AJ: University of Tennessee Athletics: Football

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Lathers has experience in the middle and after his injury he may have lost a step. Might not be fast enough for the outside.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I just looked at the Tennessee AD's roster and he's listed at 220 (whether that's still true or not I don't know). AJ's listed at a whopping 245lbs and Maggitt is listed at 215. Hopefully Lather's will have the speed for outside because AJ's size is a perfect fit for the middle. Looking ahead, Santos is listed at 245 on rivals (i'm sure he's bigger than that), Peters is listed at 221, and Henderson is listed at 200.

This is where I don't quite understand the 3-4 defensive front talk. Our staff seems to be getting bigger LB's which means they won't be quite as fast. I thought you needed quick LB's to run that kind of defense? Or does having two 245lbs LB's in the middle and two 220lbs LB's on the outside make it work?

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Maggitt looks bigger than 215.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

AJ needs to be at the MLB spot.

Lathers isn't big enough to do what these MLBs are asked to do. His best attribute is his speed. I don't think a broken ankle will cause him to lose a step.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Look at Bama's 3-4. They pretty much have 3 DT's on the LOS and then 2 DE sized OLBs. The MLBs are usually 250 or bigger too.

You need guys that can rush the passer from a 2 point stance, not necessarily "quick" guys.

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

That's my thinking but I guess we'll see. I wonder who will be contributing on a regular basis from this class coming up?

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Santos will probably see a lot of PT on goal line D and special teams. I imagine he'll almost immediately move ahead of whoever is #2 at MLB.

Peters, imo, is going to see a lot of reps too. Henderson and King will either be special teamers or redshirts. I do think all 4 LBs Tennessee has signed right now are good enough to be starters here eventually.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Remember Parys Haralson? He was a DE in our 4-3, but he's played OLB for the 49er's 3-4.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[penis] LeBeau said it's easier to find 240 to 255 lb athletes than it is to find 300 lb athletes, which is pretty much how the 3-4 came about.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Yep, I remember him. I just looked at his height/weight and he's listed at 6' 255lbs. At that size (as long as he as the strength) he could be a menace at DE because he would be able to get that leverage and get under the tackle. Obviously he has the speed to play OLB too. Good size + Good Speed + Good Strength = NFL Player.