Even Though...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Nov 2, 2011.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I know that tomorrow night is an exhibition and we're staring a mediocre season square in the eyes, I have never been more excited about a basketball exhibition as I am tonight. I understand that part of it is that UT finally cut ties with one of my least favorite people in the world, but there's nothing like the start of the season to me. Combine that my disdain with almost everything involving football ,the end of baseball season and I'm flat out giddy about my trek to TBA tomorrow.

Anyone else feeling the excitement yet? And who amongst us will be in attendance?

I'll hang up and listen.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

A 30-game season in which half of those you might win, and another quarter you can be competitive in leads to an excitement that is tough to muster when you are getting your teeth kicked in for a whole month in football. I like hoops for the very reason you can lose by thirty to someone on Thursday, and come back Saturday and win by 12.

I am probably the most sympathetic toward Bruce on this board, but I am elated about getting to see Cuonzo roam the sidelines. Seeing him get excited, watching him chew someone out, listening to the post-game show, etc. will be the first step in the "healing" process some folks still need.

And I may be one of the few people who attended a UT basketball game before attending a UT football game, so my nostalgia kicks in this time of year, though I care about the teams equally.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I can't make myself get up for it at the moment, but it's mainly because I fear we'll have a product on the floor that isn't even worth watching. If they can at least manage to play some basketball, I'll get into it.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'll be there tomorrow night.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Actually, I'm probably the most pro-Pearl on this board, more than just sympathetic to Pearl, as has been established elsewhere. That said, I've always been excited for the basketball season in Knoxville and am more than willing to give Martin the benefit of the doubt until shown what he's made of one way or the other.

It sucks that we've lost our most successful coach in UT history, but time moves on. I am very curious as to how we'll look and feel that we will be better than the prognosticators and UT doubters (many among our own ranks) opine. The cupboard isn't as bare as people think.

6. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I'm excited because it's basketball season- would probably be more excited it I hadn't actually watched them practice twice.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

As long as the word is no labor at the doctor's office today, I will be heading Knoxville way shortly.

8. hatvol96

If you think watching practice is deflating, wait til Monday night.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You think the Railsplitters will win?

10. hatvol96

If Tennessee doesn't play well, they'll get slapped. Hard. LMU is a D-II Final Four quality team. They're better than a good portion of the depths of D-I.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You mentioned that before. Maybe the roads will be icy on Clinch Mountain and they'll just forfeit the game.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

How in the hell does that level of talent land in Tazewell?

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Who can resist that tunnel to Middlesboro? They've got like a Hardees and everything.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The tunnel OUT of Middlesboro would be the selling point for me.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just can't get up for it. Nothing new. Typically for me I don't care about basketball until Thanksgiving week.

16. hatvol96

Before a Claiborne Countian shows up here all irate, LMU is in Harrogate. To answer your question, a great deal of that talent is there because they've worn out their welcome everywhere else.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Can't believe I said Tazewell.

I had no idea of their basketball program. Obviously.

18. hatvol96

Rick Byrd used to coach LMU.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I meant this year's squad.

20. hatvol96

I understand. I was just making the point that LMU used to be a big time power in the NAIA. When they've had good coaches, they've been excellent. They've got a better arena than multiple teams in the A-10 and CAA.