Quicken Loans Carrier Classic

Discussion in 'Sports' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Nov 10, 2011.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't really follow basketball but thought this was extremely cool. Awesome idea for Veteran's Day and wish I were still in San Diego to attend. I'm sure you guys have heard of it....

2011 Quicken Loans Carrier Classic

[​IMG]

I'm interested to see it and may watch the game tomorrow night.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was talking about this game with some colleagues yesterday. It's an amazing idea. The only way it could be any cooler is if they played the game while underway in the Persian Gulf, while invading Iran. "This is what freedom looks like, ass holes."

Seriously, this is a very cool event. And obviously something that isn't likely to happen again.

3. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

What if it rains?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

San Diego. Not much of a problem.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If there are any battleships outside the subnet and fire off the big guns after the game, that would be pretty spectacular.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

[uck fay] ya. And constant super hornet flyovers. Perhaps an ally-oop to a serviceman hanging out of a hovering SH-60 Seahawk...

*sigh

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I was listening to College Sports Nation on XM and they were saying there's been talk about trying to play a football game in the future at some point on a carrier. Not sure if it was this particular one or not. Kind of cool though...

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

You see enough of that stuff at sea. If this were for civilians I could see them doing that though.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would definitely avoid running along the sideline for extra yardage.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Pretty sure we'd lose half our running backs and all of our return guys. Although... it might not be a bad idea to have them practice this way: either take the hit, or go man over board. Choice is yours.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like it. Long way to some hard water.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm not sure our running backs even make it to the sideline before getting thrown for a 3 yard loss, so I don't worry that much about them.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Eh, some non-skid will toughen them up. No worries...I had my fair share of it during the transition from pollywog to shellback.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Actually, the goal is to make it an annual event. UConn has already signed on to play in 2012.

15. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sweet!

17. CardinalVol

Woke up at 6:30 and watching dvr. Awesome setting. Job well done IMO.

I don't care what the score is, I love watching izzo coached teams.

18. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Really cool spectacle. It's the most fun I've ever had watching a game won by UNC.

Got to spend a day on the George HW Bush last year, a Nimitz-class sister ship of the Carl Vinson. Majestic and awe-inspiring.

19. Fleetwood1104

Fleetwood1104 New Member

one of the commentators had a good idea last night, play this annually and have it be the service teams. it wouldn't be quite the ratings draw watching air force play west point but would be a lot more meaningful if they continue to do it on veterans day

20. CardinalVol

No reason you can't pull off a double header......

Service game and then a UNC/MSU type game.