Correcting the ‘fairy tale’: A SEAL’s account of how Osama bin Laden really died

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by SavageOrangeJug, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Obama's personal and political glory is more important than all that pesky 'intelligence'.

Correcting the ‘fairy tale’: A SEAL’s account of how Osama bin Laden really died

2. volinbham

volinbham Member

Interesting.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know I'm supposed to be the commie lib pinko fear mongering unwashed hippie around here, but that sounds arguably treasonous.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i understand the seal's point, but this news wouldn't have been kept under wraps for long. i'm not sure obama had much of a choice.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's fair, but one could have still waited a few days to make an official announcement, allowing intelligence to get an overview on what info they had gotten and a chance to act on it.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It's unfortunate that this administration was so eager to take credit for this. If they would have played their cards correctly, they could have used all of that intel gathered and maybe acted on it prior to releasing the news. Why not put the news in your back pocket for a rainy day and use the information you collected? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Also- whether it's unlawful, illegal, or straight up wrong I can almost assure you that there was never any intention of taking him alive. What purpose would it have served if we captured him other than worry about terrorists planning attacks for his release?

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

In the spirit of IPO's objective admission, might I add: Any President would have done the same. D or R.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Respectfully disagree.

Of those who knew about it - who else would've leaked it?

Pakistan - and admit that they got caught harboring his ass, and subsequently caught entirely unaware when they got [itch bay]ed? Unlikely. And there would be no "secondary leaks" of such magnitude from that region.

Al Qaeda - no way they fall all over themselves to leak the US finally bagged their leader...and even if they had wanted to, they likely didn't know their asses from a hole in ground for a minimum of 96 hours afterward.

SEALS - No.

Anonymous Administration Official - first off, if the intent was to keep it quiet for a time, and considering the nature / value of ye target and importance of gathering that data (this was not your atypical West Wing scuttlebutt sort of stuff), the number of people who would know enough to present a credible account could be counted on one hand. And even if someone from those uber-tight ranks did attempt to leak something, no way could it be sufficiently corraborated for the mainstream. Theyd try like hell, but in doing so, they'd expose the one of 4-5 people who talked, and they'd be finished.

Sorry - didn't mean to rant, but the more I wrote, the more I considered.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Probably, for no other reason than to put a feather in their cap too. The news regarding BL would have eventually leaked anyway, so I'm not that bothered by the quick judgment to assume credit. However, I would like to believe that our POTUS's surround themselve's with the best advisers. Given the situation, maybe this administration felt they needed a win? Either way, at least leave out the details surrounding the intel that was gathered. By now, every sand packing terrorist affiliated has changed things up and I'm sure you know how much time it takes for intel to mature and become solid. What could have been reaped from that intel is probably long gone now.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they had what 10 people in the room watching it. zero chance it doesn't get leaked IMO.

11. No! All of those people had top level security clearance. You leak that type of info with that type of security clearance, and you will be put on trial, most likely convicted, and sent away until your grandbaby is grown.

12. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

that must be why whoever leaked the existence of CIA black sites during the Bush administration is currently residing in Gitmo.

13. Who got blamed, or who really leaked it?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can a US citizen get sent to Gitmo as a prisoner?

15. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

I was being facetious, dumbasses.

Juggles was saying that leakers that high up in the food chain are in deep shit, my contention is that they are often never caught.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea, if they are considered an enemy combatant. Hard to say whether leaking privileged information is "enemy combatant" status, but WikiLeaks guy isn't in Guantanamo, he is held Federally.

17. Well, when there are only 10 people in a room...that narrows the suspect list.

18. fl0at_

SEALs take is wrong. Simply obtaining electronic communications, or information at all is not intelligence, and it is not actionable intelligence. The level of manpower it would take to comb through the data, find relevant pieces of information and put eyes on what or whom that information led to, plus identification and action on that objective would have taken a long, long time.

In that time frame, it would have leaked.

If everyone recalls, Pakistani citizens were TWEETING about the event as it took place. Paki police and military were on scene shortly after retrograde and a US only piece of tech was on scene. You can believe that would have led to questions and on site reporting and questioning of locals. There would have been near immediate speculation as to who the target was, and by that time, you can bet those in the know would have known the area, known the importance and ceased all activity that would compromise them.

The conspiracy theories would have then increased locally, and the story would have broken anyway, well, well before any intel was gleaned from the pile.

We have to remember, the Pakistani government was not the only ones to know what went down. The citizens of the state were also quite aware, and they harbor no ill-regard when it comes to flapping their gums about what they saw. Embarrassment to the Paki government? Yea. To the people? Nope.

19. You seriously underestimate our governments capabilities. Trust me, it's scary.

You want the Feds to read this forum?

NSA

Done! No bullshit. Those three little letters is all it takes. Twice the manpower and twice the budget of the CIA and FBI combined....and they answer to no one.

20. fl0at_

You seriously over estimate the ability to decrypt, parse and pull down bit by bit NON TRANSMITTED data.

If you don't believe me. Unplug your computer from the net, and type something you think will get NSA on your doorstep. And then count how long it takes.

If you aren't transmitting, there is nothing to SIGINT.

Give it some thought.