La Tech - 2 AD

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Louisiana Tech Football - Bulldogs News, Scores, Videos - College Football - ESPN

Could legitimately win the WAC. Big game with Nevada next weekend to win it and I expect them to knock off Ole Miss this weekend.

Lost to 2 Top 25 teams by a total of 3 points (one being Houston, which is impressive IMO). Took State to OT in Starkville.

Is that a pro to Dooley bringing in talent or a con as to his coaching ability?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or is it a wash and irrelevant? (Just asking, not saying)

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think it really says anything for or against Dooley

4. CardinalVol

All we heard at the beginning was the "you can't win at La Tech" argument for Dooley. Granted, there is no Boise in the WAC anymore, but if La Tech pulls this off, then that argument is null and void. Quite honestly, there's quite a bit that indites Dooley as being a bad coach if La Tech wins, IMO.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Schools like La Tech have a good year every 10 years or so because a lot of the roster is made up of BCS school castoffs. Dooley won what, 7 or 8 games his second year there?

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Actually, it validates a lot about Dooley. He's two years removed from LA Tech, which means that's his handprints on the junior and senior classes there.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Does that mean Nick Saban's second season was a validation of Mike Shula?

8. hatvol96

Does that mean Bob Stoops' second season was a reflection on John Blake's coaching acumen?

9. CardinalVol

Obviously Buzz was just a year or two away from greatness.

And the Zooker.......

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yeah. Without Boise in the conference then, La Tech would have been in the same position with a conference title on the line against Nevada. Of course they lost to Nevada that year.

11. Unimane

It validated that Shula could recruit. Blake could recruit, too, if we're going to mention Oklahoma and Stoops. We'll see if Dooley can coach the talent he brings in, but the record of LA Tech does reflect well upon Dooley. I think, combined with Dooley bringing Tech their first bowl bid in many years also reflects well upon him, although he's now had two years in which nearly all his key players have been injured. I don't know if it's bad luck or some kind of pattern or something, who the hell knows.

12. hatvol96

It wasn't that many years since they'd been in a bowl game and Gary Crowton's incompetent ass had a better record at Tech than Dooley. He's cut rate garbage, pure and simple. He's a perfect example what happens when you're in a Ferrari league paying Toyota coaches.

13. Unimane

Eh, maybe. It's still a little early to me to say something as concrete as this. I like his recruiting, his assistants range from very good to mediocre and his coaching has been spotty, although his talent level upon entering this program was worse than any coach's since Johnny returned. I stated when he was hired that making no judgment on him until year 3 was fair and that year 4 he needed to threaten Atlanta. I see no reason to revise this, especially in light of the Murphy's Law season he's had this year.

14. hatvol96

His recruiting has been good enough to keep UT ahead of Kentucky and Vanderbilt. That's it. As long as UT chooses not to make the financial investment necessary to get a guy who can stand on reasonably even footing with the Sabans of the world, the program is dormant.

15. Unimane

Saban was also .500 his first three years at Michigan State, so it's not exactly unprecedented that Dooley could pull off 10 win seasons regularly in the future if you want to compare him to the iconic St. Nick. Otherwise, Dooley's recruiting consists of one year in reality and it was still a top 15 class, plus this one looks to push the top 10 in the country, so I have to go against you on that one. He's doing quite a bit better there than simply staying above Kentucky and Vanderbilt. We don't suck right now because of Dooley's recruiting, it's because of Fulmer dereliction of duty in the senior class and Kiffin's defections from the hodgepodge he put together the first year.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Just a quick list of the "top performers" on La Tech's roster.

Sonny Dykes'
    --------------------------
    Nick Isham - 2011 commit - True Freshman [starting QB until injury]
    Quinton Patton - 2011 commit - CC transfer [Leading WR]
    Taulib Ikharo - First season 2010 [Sonny Dykes recruit] [2nd Leading WR]
    Hunter Lee - 2011 True Freshman [2nd leading RB] (ave 4.5/carry)
    Le'Vander Liggins - 2011 commit [Kick Return]
    Ryan Allen - May 7th 2010 transfer from Oregon State [P]
    Dave Clark - 2010 transfer from CC [3 INT, 26 yds, 0 TDs]

Dooley's
    ---------------------------
    Colby Cameron - 2008 commit (2007 recruit) [backup QB, now maybe starter]
    Lennon Creer - Tennessee Transfer in 2009 to Dooley [leading rusher] (ave 3.8/carry)
    Quinn Giles - 2009 commit [3 INT, 0 yds returned, 0 TD]
    Lyle Fitte - 2009 commit [Top KR return by 2 yrds, 1 for TD]
    Jay Dudley - 2007 commit [3 INT, 89 yrds, 2 TD] [Top D]

Just a few of the players. Hard to say whether the SR/JRs are Dooley's players, since a lot of them are transfers. But one thing is clear, Dooley's boys aren't running the offense.

17. hatvol96

I don't give a shit where it ranks nationally. What matters is where it rates in the league. He's not remotely threatening the teams that matter. He's a child sent to do a full grown man's job.

18. Unimane

That's because his guys are still children and being in top 10 in the nation is pretty marginal as to the rest of the top ten as it is. In any event, his only real recruiting class is the freshman class. You really expect him to compete in this league with just a freshman class and few sophomores he was able to pick off in 3 weeks after being hired? He has [uck fay]ing guys like Austin Johnson and a crippled Ben Martin as his best seniors to face NFL feeder teams like LSU and Alabama.

So, yeah, he may suck, but this year is not exactly a fair comparison to make. Wake me up with this reasoning in a year or two when his children have grown into men and we aren't starting a bushel of 18 year old boys in Tuscaloosa. If we've still got the same shit going on, then I'll buy what you're selling. Until then, I'm in wait and see mode.

19. hatvol96

That's great. If UT follows that logic we'll be sitting around wondering how South Carolina put us is the rear view mirror. The guy was a loser in the WAC. He's now a loser in the SEC. He's Buzz Peterson with orange pants, an ignorant Paula Deen impersonator for a mother, and a losing career record.

20. Unimane

You mean the logic of telling a coach he's fired if he field a competitive team following his first freshman class? What good does acting like we have the patience of 12 year girls? Who the hell would want to work here under those conditions? No, we hired him, so he's got his shot. Just like Buzz, he gets four year to show his worth and, if he sucks like him, then he's out (unless he shows Wade Houston-like incompetence).