The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 21, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Unlike Vanderbilt football fans, I don't get orgasmic glee from moral victories. That said, tonight was a good performance by UT,
    2. The defense was better than 77 points allowed would indicate. The Blue Devils made a bushel of contested shots.
    3. The fact Tennessee didn't get buried when Trae Golden went to the bench with fouls early is encouraging going forward. That's a massive improvement over the first two games.
    4. Jeronne Maymon put up a valiant fight on the boards. He does, however, need to scrap shooting the three.
    5. Jordan McRae is slowly getting to the level he should be playing at now. Once he quits overruning the pace of the game, he'll be an offensive force.
    6. Austin Rivers is going to be a scoring dynamo. Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins are going to get a whole bunch of open looks off Rivers' penetration.
    7. I'd like to see the Plumlee family's grocery tab for the last 18 years. It has to be on par with the gross domestic product of a small South American country.
    8. Kenny Hall showed a pulse late, but wasn't nearly productive enough. He has to play at a high level for Tennessee to really threaten high caliber opponents.
    9. I really like what I saw out of Cam Tatum. He competed and looked as healthy as he's been in a long, long time.
    10. It'll be intriguing to see how UT responds tomorrow. With Memphis being the opponent, Coach Martin shouldn't have any trouble getting his guys emotionally up to compete.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm just going to come out and say it: Wes Washpun will have Carlus Groves/JaJuan Smith status in my eyes by the time he leaves. He's just an ornery little guy.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Something that stood out to me, esp in the early going, is how ridiculously athletic we are. If we can start to play some good ball with that, we may not be as bad as I first thought.

4. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Thoughts on the performance by Pastner's bunch today?

5. hatvol96

They looked as if they have never been coached before. That's no surprise to me.

6. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

i was very encouraged by maymon's offensive play. he's getting hammered for missing some easy shots, but he was definitely our potg tonight.

7. hallowed_hill

McRae showed flashes tonight. I liked his aggression at times.

The horrible shots three possessions in a row by tatum-mcrae-maymon killed our momentum in the first half and totally changed the game.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That's a direct result of Golden being on the bench. Our shot selection is significantly worse when he's not on the floor.

9. hallowed_hill

Good point.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Pastner's going to have to show something this year. He simply was owned today by John Beilein.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I also received my yearly November reminder as to why I hate Duke. I still have no idea how you "will" a shot into the basket, dumbest shit I've ever heard.

12. hatvol96

UCLA up two at the half against Chaminade. They've completely tuned Howland out.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Got to see the first half and part of the second. This team competed extremely well considering the difference in 3 point baskets made. Thats tough to do with a team like Duke. For every two 3 point shots they make, you have to make an extra 2 point basket. Post play was solid. We have to get more shots inside of 8 feet to fall.

Duke had a couple of chances earlier to close the game and UT scrapped and found ways to make Duke play 40 mins to win. The discipline of this team will keep them in games where they will be outmatched.

14. hatvol96

When used to describe a guy muscling a shot up through traffic in close, it's merely silly. When used to describe a 22 foot jump shot, it's sheer madness.

15. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

hat, what are your expectations for tomorrow's tilt against Memphis?

16. hatvol96

Tough matchup on short rest. They play dumb, but they're incredibly deep. I'll be interested to see how Golden and Maymon's newfound conditioning holds up tomorrow. Golden v. Jackson should be must see hoops TV.

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Hat,

Do you think that Martin will employ the zone d tomorrow? Can we really play them straight up?

18. hatvol96

I would be shocked to see the zone as anything more than a changeup. Martin is going to sink or swim with man defense. Not sure we can guard Black and Thomas, but we should be able to do alright on their perimeter guys.

19. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Thanks.

What are your thoughts on the Jarnell Stokes situation? Denied final appeal by TSSAA today. Strong local rumors that he can graduate in December and enroll at his destination in Jan and play... do you know anything on this?

20. hatvol96

If he's got a qualifying test score and graduates, he can certainly do that. I don't see the logic behind it if he's going to Memphis. Hard to meld a guy into a team with real hopes of making a run in March that quickly. It would make more sense if he's going to Arkansas or UT.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011