Bowl Game...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Nov 21, 2011.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Assuming we beat Kentucky, which bowl game do you guys see us getting a bid for? The MCB again? I just looked at ESPN's bowl predictions and they seem to think we'll be playing in the Liberty Bowl gainst Southern Miss. At this point, I'll take any bowl game for the extra practice time.

Not going out too far on a limb, but I think we close this season at 7-6. I hate to say that the Vandy game was a turning point, but let's be honest. Bray is back and will only get better and it's quite obvious the offense is much more efficient with him at the helm. The Vandy win probably created a much needed spark for this team.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't see any way the MCB doesn't take us, and they pick before the Liberty.

With Miami off the board, I'm officially calling a UT/Wake Forest MCB because I don't think ACC gets two teams in BCS.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Which one is the better bowl? I'm trying to find a bowl game pecking order and can't seem to locate one. Obviously they're accepting 6 win teams, so they aren't that glamorous...just curious.

4. CardinalVol

MCB picks first and pays more, Liberty is older and you play agaisnt a CUSA team, so I'd say MCB.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

With our fan showing last year, MCB would jump to have us again.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

MCB vs. whoever

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I know two members of BoD. I will be absolutely flabbergasted if they don't jump all over UT.

8. CardinalVol

Wasn't last year the biggest crowd the bowl has had?

Do they have any visions of actually trying to increase their bowl stature, or are they content being what they are?

9. Beechervol

Pretty sure that is accurate. 90% of that was orange.

10. WM

WM Active Member

I guess Miami has taken themselves out of bowl consideration so that is disappointing.

11. volinbham

volinbham Member

Would like to see Birmingham Bowl - so I could pop over and see them. I went to the Pitt/UK game last year and it was pretty decent.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

The Vols would certainly be a wise choice purely from a numbers standpoint as far as tickets go. The only downside would be the rest of the city not making it's usual since there wouldn't be as many people staying in Nashville (hotels, bars, etc).

13. CardinalVol

Disagree.

I was there last year and there were a ton of people who just decided to go to Nashville and make a New Year celebration out of it. 2nd avenue was swamped before and after game. I'd say the economy did very well.

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm sure it was rocking and rolling but I can't help think that the city would not make as much with a somewhat local team being in the bowl. There simply wouldn't be that many people staying in hotels since most would be within driving distance to the game.

15. volinbham

volinbham Member

Probably depends on overall attendance (high with UT) vs # of overnight visitors (lower as a % of fans with UT). If Miss St. would send 10K fans and UT would send 30K fans it's still a better economic outcome for them with UT.

16. Beechervol

I was there as well. This is correct.

17. Beechervol

UT had 55k or so there last year.

18. cotton

The city does not run the bowl. The bowl committee wants a full stadium and good TV ratings, and that's about it.

Yes. It was the first sellout at LP.

19. cotton

I think if they can repeat last year's atmosphere, attendance, and interest on a regular basis, they will be tickled pink.

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

How silly does this thread seem now? Wow