The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 23, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Good job by the coaching staff of making sure the team didn't come out and play in disinterested fashion today. The players also deserve credit for going about their business in workmanlike fashion.
    2. As long as it isn't a lingering problem going forward, Jeronne Maymon's injury was probably a blessing in disguise. It forced some other players into roles that demanded they produce and not simply defer.
    3. Trae Golden showed some maturity with the way he bounced back. After being a little shaky early, he got back to playing at the high level he had performed at in the first three games.
    4. I hope today is a breakthrough for Jordan McRae. If Josh Richardson's play yesterday was a motivating factor in McRae getting after it this afternoon, that's a huge boost for UT. If it was just a physically talented player beating up on an inferior opponent, it's meaningless. We'll get the answer soon enough.
    5. The more I see him play, the more intrigued I am with Yemi Makanjuola as a prospect. It's always tough to gauge the ceiling of a player who picked up the game later in life. That said, he's showing signs that his potential is far greater than what was expected when he was signed.
    6. The bench players, for the most part, took advantage of the extended minutes the blowout afforded them. In particular, Skylar McBee came onto the floor and did exactly what is going to be asked of him.
    7. I'm the last person to defend Bruce Pearl. However, I tought the constant commentary about how Coach Martin has to "change the culture" at UT was a well over the top. Were there some players who weren't great representatives of the university? Yes, but Ramar Smith was the exception, not the rule. Pearl's six years were far more positive than negative. Acting as if Martin is inheriting a situation comparable to what Kevin O'Neill took over from Wade Houston is just disingenous.
    8. This team has far exceeded my expectations through five games. They have performed better in essentially every facet of the game than I thought they were capable of doing.
    9. Martin is interesting to observe when he's interacting with the media. He's got a matter of fact manner that leaves the viewer with the impression he's full of quiet confidence. He's certainly not imparting any false bravado.
    10. In light of their performance on the island, Monday's game at Oakland takes on increased significance for UT. A win would keep the momentum their solid play has built going and send them into the Pitt game with a confident mindset. It's exactly the kind of game this team has to win in order to make postseason play.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hat, the Yemi bandwagon has room for another passenger.

(I love how Jimmy Dykes has already penciled us into the tournament. If nothing else, it helps to plant the seed in everyone's mind to not forget about the Vols. If they can trip up a Pitt, and win some quality conference games, it may not matter though).

3. hatvol96

It'll be interesting to see how he develops. Some guys who come to the game in their teens have huge upsides, then some guys hit a plateau rather quickly.

4. Asking this honestly - Has anyone ever taken over a bigger non-NCAA related mess than KO did?

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He is just so broad-shouldered. He could really punish people if he figures it out.

6. hatvol96

I've never seen one worse at the major college level. Any situation I consider remotely comparable had NCAA issues as at least a peripheral problem.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

On thing Martin needs to do is erase the phrase "Without a doubt" from his interviews. During the radio pregame yesterday, he used it about 200 times before proceeding to his point. I thought he did a good job answering everything Kesling was asking him, but I kept asking myself, "Why does he keep saying that?"

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I realize it's only been a handful of games, but I've been surprised how well/consistently the team has shot the ball from the perimeter, outside of the Duke game.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He has no doubt?

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

LSU losing at home to South Alabama. Goodness.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

In reflecting more on these first couple of games, how did so many folks get it so wrong? I don't mean that they are better than we thought, perhaps. That happens to the best forecasters. But I am thinking in terms of strategy. He literally lets them throw up about any shot they want without so much as a grimace on the offensive side, and seems to want to push the ball at every turn.

They do seem to hustle and be more active on defense, but they don't exactly remind me of "defensive-minded" team. Was Cuonzo miscast? Was I oblivious to how things really were at Missouri State? Does he just not have the pieces he needs to do what he wants to do?

I am a little concerned about stamina if this pace of play holds up, but dang if its not captivating to watch. Let's see how they do in an actual road game. Who knows, teams like this sometimes thrive in those environments.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He likes the shortened version of no doubt too. I ve caught this too. Its funny.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I have nothing to add here other than to point out that these are excellent points. I have to assume it is a personnel issue, but it definitely is not what I was expecting to see.

But I like it.