USC Comment About Rich Rod's Hiring.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Nov 23, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Talked to someone associated with the Trojan football program this evening about Arizona's football hire. The notable quote: "Our division just got much, much tougher."

2. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I imagine so. I think this is the perfect place for RichRod. It will be an easy transition for his offense.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm not really sure why it was such a train wreck at Michigan.

4. hatvol96

I've just started reading John U. Bacon's book about Rich Rod's tenure in Ann Arbor. It becomes pretty obvious in short order that a lot of "Michigan Men" never wanted him and spent every waking moment undermining him. It was also just a bad fit for everyone involved. Rich Rod is a blue collar guy who unabashedly admits he's got a lot of hillbilly in him. Michigan is part of college football's white glove society. It's comparable to Billy Clyde trying to fit in with the blue bloods in Lexington.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Trying to implement the spread alone caused nausea among portions of the fanbase.

6. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

They may well have been practicing "too much" or whatever, but it seems like that whole deal was probably part of the undermining process as well. Just a guess.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

When I played sports, I enjoyed practice. It was like a sacred ritual.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think it was portions, I think it was everyone that ever supported Michigan football.

9. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

What do you think the ceiling is for Arizona? Can't imagine them being as successful as his days at WVU. I'll be rooting for him

10. hatvol96

USC is the only program in that league that I think a Rich Rod coached Arizona can't look straight in the eye once he gets the roster turned over. I've got serious doubts about Oregon's staying power and Stanford isn't built to last. I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Zona consistently in the 15-20 range, with the occasional foray into the Top 10.

11. hatvol96

I highly recommend the Rich Rod/Michigan book. It's incredibly long, but it's excellent. The coaching search that got him to Ann Arbor is some of the most insane stuff I've ever read about in college sports.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I absolutely hated team practices. I was the Allan Iverson of high school sports in that manner. I didn't mind working on things on my own, but if never see a soft toss drill again in my life it would still be too soon.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still have nightmares about 28/49 cross sweep drills.

14. hatvol96

Good investment.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Went ahead and bought it today too. Been looking for a few new books to read, and that one was an easy decision being that cheap.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Its a good hire, bit ua has zero recruiting base and Tuscon is a bit of a shithole. I'd rather have the Ucla or Asu job if I was him.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Reading this while in the hotel tonight and two particular lines about athletic directors struck me, it fits the situation in Knoxville to a T...

"if your football coach doesn't win, it doesn't matter how good a businessman you are."

And the most damning, "they say it's more important nowadays to have a business background than an athletic one, I disagree. You have to have an athletic background first, or you don't understand what's going on. You cannot run a hospital without medical people. You cannot run an athletic department without sports people. You just don't know what to look for."

Mikehamiltonfan has to hate the hell out of that.