Which would be a better time to make a coaching change?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Nov 27, 2011.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Right now or after next season?

To me, this is basically what it comes down to.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

unfortunately after next year.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't mind waiting if we can get a much better coach. I think that's better than picking up another mediocre hire for 2 or 3 years.

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I think you put feelers out now, and if it looks like you can lure a big time coach here, you pull the trigger ASAP.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

That would probably be my way of doing this, too.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kevin Sumlin can be had

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The right guy can come in here now and get a good portion of this signing class to stay in the next couple of months.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If you do it now you have who you want all but signed before you pull the trigger.

9. Beechervol

Is he the OC as well.

10. WM

WM Active Member

On the flip side, all this talk of not making a move because of recruits could be looked at in another way. What if certain key assistants see the impending sinking ship and decide to move on during the offseason. Signing day could end up being wrecked as well as having a dead coach walking.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One class isn't worth keeping a coach or making a rushed hire

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think that would be a quality hire. You have any idea if the guys in charge would consider him?

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Justin, maybe you can give me the answer to this. Why is Kevin Sumlin so wanted by many on here? He dominates his conference, but it's the CUSA. Would his air raid offense work here?

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Dooley just authored arguably the worst season in Tennessee history in his second year. Regardless of injuries, I'd think most people, recruits included, have to view him as a lame duck. I have a feeling some of these big name targets we've been close to landing are going to explore their options a bit more.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He runs the ball well when he has to, has worked for proven winners at nearly every job, has dominated who he's supposed to and beaten guys he shouldn't have.

You work under Bob Stoops, Dennis Erickson and RC Slocum, you know what you're doing

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Wasn't he co-OC under Stoops?

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes but he started as a WR coach and moved up

18. Beechervol

Whats Wilcox and Sirmons standing with Dooley? Do they walk if he leaves?

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

On a scale of 1-10, how solid would a Sumlin hire be at UT? I just wonder why he hasn't been snatched up yet.

20. Beechervol

I think that clock is ticking.