Cyber Monday

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Nov 27, 2011.

1. WM

WM Active Member

[uck fay] that running with the sewer rats on Black Friday. Everything from Dutch ovens to Beiber dolls.

Amazon.com

The online retailer's "Cyber Monday Store" opens at midnight on Sunday and lasts through the end of the week. Deals include:

Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5V 10.2 MP Digital Camera for $199 (save $150)
    Pentax K-5 Digital SLR (Body Only) for $999 (save $200)
    Microsoft Xbox 360 250GB Holiday Bundle (includes Fable III and Halo Reach) for $199 (save $100)
    Nokia N8 (Unlocked) for $299.99 (save $249)
    Monster Diddybeats Headphones for $59.99 (save $89)
    Mercer Cutlery Genesis 6-Piece Knife Set for $99.95 (save $150)
    Panasonic Linear Vortex Shaving System for $78.99 (save $171)
    "Twilight" series DVDs for $6.99 each

BestBuy.com

Sales start Sunday, November 27 and run through Cyber Monday. Customers who opt for store pick-up and spend $100 or more get a $10 store gift card. Customers also receive free shipping on everything through December 27. Cyber Monday deals include:

Samsung 28 cu Ft 4 Door Stainless Refrigerator for $1,799 (save $1200)
    Acer 10" Iconia Tab for $229.99
    Toshiba laptop with AMD E-300 processor, 2GB DDR3 memory, 320GB hard drive and 15.6" display for $279.99
    Free AT&T HTC Titan with two-year activation (save $199.99)
    Save $100 on Any Blackberry Bold, on any carrier
    Sony Cyber-Shot W570 16.1 Megapixel Camera for $99.99 (save $60)

Walmart.com

The world's biggest retailer will kick off "Cyber Week" on Sunday November, 27, a day early. Promotions will run through Friday December 2. There will be more than 250 online only specials, including:

Toshiba 32" LCD HD TV for under $250
    HotWheels Mega Garage Playset for under $30
    Xbox 360 Holiday Gamer Bundle for under $320
    Disney Cars 2 Lightning McQueen Talking Feature Chair for under $20
    Tramontina Dutch Oven for under $40
    Danskin Women's Velour Hoodie and Pant Set for under $15
    Fuji Finepix AX330 Camera Bundle for under $60
    Oral B Electric Toothbrush with bonus Crest 3-D Whitestrips for under $40
    Free shipping on home orders of $45 or more on Cyber Week specials

The New York Times

The newspaper giant is offering new customers 50% off a 26-week subscription of any New York Times digital subscription package. Twelve and 26-week gift subscriptions will also be available for 50% off.

ToysRUs.com

The toy giant will release Cyber Monday promotions starting Sunday, November 27 and on through the week. Customers can get free shipping site-wide throughout Cyber Week. The store is offering some freebies, as well as 20 to 25% many items, including:

Free Skylanders: Soyro's Adverture with the purchase of Red Nintendo 3DS with Mario Bundle for $199.99 (This deal begins at 8am on Monday, November 28. Limit 3000.)
    Free game, controller or headset with the purchase of Xbox 360 with Kinect for $299.99
    Buy-One-Get-One 60% off hundreds of video game titles
    25% OFF ALL Transformers Action Figures and Role Play
    Save $15 on any Barbie doll or play-set purchase totaling $100 or more
    20% off all Justin Beiber dolls and room decor

Target.com

The big-box retailer is promoting several deals online throughout "Cyber Week." Kicking off the event on Cyber Monday will be the following discounted items:

Movies starting at $3.99
    $100 in free accessories -- cradle, LCD screen protector and AC Adapter -- when you buy a Sony Tablet S ($499.99)
    Over 30% off some electronics
    60 percent off a top selling scooter ($19.99)
    30 to 50% off toys
    Buy one, get one free pillow sets

Sears.com

Find web-exclusive deals on diamonds, digital cameras, tools and more.

Sterling SIlver 0.18ctw diamond stud earring for $49.99 (originally $199.99)
    NordicTrack ACT Elliptical (includes free delivery) for $749.99 (originally $1,299.99)
    GE Create 12MP digital camera for $49.99 (originally $129.99)
    Craftsman 200pc MTS set for $99.99 (originally $199.99)

Kmart.com

The discount retailer is slashing prices on some electronics and toys:

Ario 32" LCD HDTV for $199.99 (originally $299.99)
    GPX PD701W Portable DVD 7" LCD for $49.99 (originally $74.99)
    25% off all Nerf toys and Baby Alive dolls

HomeDepot.com

The home-improvement giant is offering a number of items up to 75% off on Cyber Monday:

Zenith 26" metal over the shower head caddy in white for $5.99 each
    Maytag French Door refrigerator in stainless steel for $1,198
    Dyson multi floor bagless vacuum cleaner for $318

BlueNile.com

The online jewelry store is partnering with daily deals site LivingSocial to sell $100 vouchers worth $200 in merchandise. The sale starts at 5am EST on Monday and the voucher will be valid starting the next day.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I've been meaning to ask this question on the site - so I'll just throw it here.

My mother is in the market for a new desktop computer. She has had a horrible time with computers over the last 8 years or so. She seems to get at most one decent year out of a desktop and a maximum lifetime of 3 years or so after having 2 years of massive problems. The mother board, hard drive, etc. blow up on her, other disk drives fail, etc. She has typically bought Dells in the past, but she wants something different now.

I haven't shopped for a desktop in forever, so I thought I would get opinions here. She doesn't need a gamer's machine. She basically does email and general internet, keeps her recipes, and maintains her pictures. She doesn't currently use any heavy photo editing software, but the possibility does exist that she might want to at some point - I'm not sure if that would drive any specs or not. She does need a decent hard drive because she uses a digital SLR camera that produces some pretty massive files - though I know hard drives tend to not be a problem with desktop computers.

So, any suggestions for a good-priced option that has good reliability and would meet her fairly limited needs?

Also, I think that some of her problems may be tied to power surges or power failures at my parents' house...they live at the end of the power lines and their power can be fickle. She has what looks to be a good surge protector on her current machine - but do you have recommendations on how I could test my theory and/or protect against this problem in the future?

3. WM

WM Active Member

What about a tablet with cloud capabilities for her photos and other files?

4. TennTradition

I don't know if she would go for it, but I could pitch it. Is your thought that it would be less susceptible to the power issues simply because it isn't running off of live lines all the time? That is an idea - but I don't know if she would feel comfortable going that route...

5. volinbham

volinbham Member

The power issue first. Does she have truly grounded outlets or just 3 prong on old 2 prong circuits? My electrician indicated that surge protectors don't work unless its a truly grounded outlet.

If it isn't a power issue then maybe an iMac would make sense if she's getting the thing gunked up with adware/spyware stuff.

6. TennTradition

I will ask my father about that - but I think that they are fully grounded outlets. As for the spyware thing - I think that this is the source of some problems for her; however, the bigger issue has been hardware failure. I'm not really sure where iMacs are priced, but they may be more than she is wanting to spend on the desktop. The problem she has now is that she's always afraid that the computer's lifetime is going to be 2 or 3 years - so spending a lot is a problem from that perspective. Of course, if you go too cheap, then you kind of self-fulfill that prophecy. However, she has been buying what I thought were at least decent Dells and not what I would call cheap...but man, they have sucked for her.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thought this thread was going to be about cyber sex. Am disappoint.