Dooley: Savior or Satan?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Jul 18, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Discuss among the group.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Sacrificial lamb. Too much crap to wade through. Decent enough guy and appears to be a good coach. Will set us on the right path, but will struggle to live up. We need some coaches to move on.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i want him to work out because i like him, appreciate the way he looks at things and his sense of humor. and i don't think we'll have to worry about the NCAA while he's here, but yeah, he was given too much shit to wade through.

what coaches need to go?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like the guy and think he's a decent enough coach.

He came into a God-awful situation and appears to be headed in the right direction.

I don't think he'll have the time to do what he wants to do though

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I love his personality. Not sure if he's ever going to win big here and if that's the case, I'll be ready for him to leave. The next coach, if Dooley doesn't work out, should take over a much better situation than Kiffin or Dooley inherited. I think 2012 will be the year we will really know the answer.

Oh and that hair.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

He's grown on me. I think he actually has the ability to be very successful here.

He walked into a shit storm, but he could benefit from Richt's slow demise and Muschamp's inexperience.

I'm rooting for him. Then again, I don't have much choice. 2012 looks to be a make or break year for him. If that team doesn't get him to Atlanta, then he's probably coaching somewhere else in 2014.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I am rooting for him as well. A part of me doesn't want to because I don't want to validate the lowest bidder mentality we've been hiring with lately. However, the guy is a god guy, actually has a sense of humor, etc. I think he has a chance, but unfortunately it has a lot to do with how much the other programs pave the road for him.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dooley does have a chance to grab the SEC East by the balls.

Richt is slowly fading away, Spurrier isn't going to last much longer and I don't think Muschamp is going to be worth a shit.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I like the hell out of the guy. He's clever, bright, entertaining and appears to approach coaching and kids appropriately. I just don't think he's in a position to get where he has to in a timeline that works for our fanbase. I hope like hell that he does, but odds are against. He didn't have the name recognition he needed to recruit like the big turnaround guys. Without a built in player base, that's a lot to ask.

All that said, I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with last year's group and this year's crowd might get seriously good here quickly.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I still think he feels like a guy who will get us to 8-4 or 9-3, and we'll have one hell of a time getting rid of him.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've said over and over, I will make my evaluation of him when he walks off the field at Kentucky.

8 wins or more and I will believe he can do it. 7 or less and he is just our version of Mike Shula.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic, almost to the point of setting myself up for disappointment, about this season.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see like Cotton does. He can improve us and get us closer to where we want to be, but ultimately he might cap out at 8, 9, or 10 wins. But you never know. If he improves the staff and keeps pushing for improvement, he might build something. Making a run for the East isn't out of the question this year, and would go a long way to dissuading my fears.

13. Hoss Diesel

Hoss Diesel New Member

He's turning things around. I think there is a chance he could be a sacrificial lamb, but I personally would like to see him get the opportunity to enjoy the potential successes. 2012 will be the pivot point.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Glad to have you, Hoss.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Welcome, Hoss.

16. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

In Dooley I trust.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I hope he is our savior. He's brought in solid players so far and he's a person you want to trot out to the media. After this year we will really have our answer.

18. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

I like the shit out of him and meeting him solidified it.

However, if he doesnt win, I will have to agree that he has to go. I believe he knows he has to win and that will motivate him to do the best he can.

Fulmer no longer had that motivation because he thought his ass was well planted in the HC position

I believe Dooley will get it done

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

you calling him the pivot man?

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I love him. He is awesome as a spokesman. I'm not sure he has the recruiting thing down, though. I'm also not sold on his coaching, or the staff.