Thoughts on A&M possibly joining the SEC?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Vols kick balls, Aug 9, 2011.

1. I don't like the aggies, but getting more access to Texas markets wouldn't be a bad thing.

2. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

They would win more than we would. Allure of the SEC, staying close to home. a win for aTm

3. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

And by "win" I mean they would benefit more.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Don't see much value in adding A&M.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not really excited about it either. Second rate program. Instead of playing second fiddle to Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, it'll be to UT, UGA, LSU, Bama, and Florida. Whoopee.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm in the same boat.

Only reason it makes sense for TAMU is so they get away from Texas.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Texas A&M has been held down by Texas in the Big 10, though. This would give them at least some competitive advantage in recruiting. I'm not a huge fan because it is out of the way and doesn't do much to help the SEC play. I think it benefits A&M for the reasons stated and stands to make the SEC money by opening up the Texas market ... so if it helps the team and the front office likes the exposure, who knows.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm always had an affinity for A&M, so I like it.

Helps the conference out by getting Texas markets with a Tier 2 team.

Only questions I have are who will be the 14th, will there be a drastic realignment to go along with it and will we see a 9th conference game.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'm with Tiger, who will be the 14th team? No way they bring GT back. That leaves Clemson, one of the NC schools (would be alluring for basketball) and possibly VT. I don't see UNC or Duke leaving the ACC just because of tradition. Not sure NC St nor Wake would be that big of a pick up. Have no idea why VT would leave the ACC, but I have no real reasons for them to stay outside of lesser football competition.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I could see NC State making the jump.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

It's the most reasonable jumper to me, but and I would think Business could back me up on this, NC State fans in the Triad area feel just as special in the ACC basketball legacy as Duke and UNC, whether they should or not. They were really good just before my time, and every once in awhile they sneak in a good football season, but I don't know how much of an actual benefit they would be. Although, technically Raleigh and Greensboro are split as far as media markets go and they usually fall somewhere in the low to mid forties, so if both markets picked up the SEC, that might be more beneficial than I'm thinking. Plus, then I'd get SEC games here at Bragg.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Why is it exactly that the conference needs to be bigger?

I understand from the SEC's point of view that it brings in additional TV viewers and consequently TV dollars, but I'm not sure, as a fan, why making the conference tougher is necessarily a good thing.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i have no desire to see A&M in the SEC either. i think the SEC could do better.

14. CardinalVol

I'm quite happy with the current set-up. I'd be fine not adding any teams. I just don't see it happening.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If they're interested in opening the SEC up to new markets, I don't see how they go with Clemson. The Gamecocks already give the SEC a presence in SC. I could see VT as an option...also wonder if Maryland might be on the radar.

16. The mod from the aTm 247 site said that he heard Maryland is an option that he was hearing to come with aTm. Getting Baltimore, DC, and Texas markets would be a big deal to increased revenue. They don't add much other than that though.

17. CardinalVol

I've mentioned Maryland before because of DC/Baltimore markets, but am always told that neither of these cities are college markets so it doesn't make sense. I don't get that because it still makes a lot of sense to me.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Is dropping Vandy an option? If so, I'm game.

19. CardinalVol

You're here?

Geez......

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Place is going downhill fast.