2012 Season

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Aug 19, 2011.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

As you guys may have noticed on VN, this is clearly an issue I like discussing. Thought I would open up the discussion here.

I think this is the year where Dooley has to show something. There may be some questions, but as a group, I think 2012 is when the team should compete.

Looking at the schedule, I'm not sure why we wouldn't be optimistic. A lot of teams are going to have questions, and Bama and Florida come to Knoxville.

What kind of year do you think Tennessee is looking at here? What are your expectations?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm not being a smartass here, but I've got to see 11 play out before I will make any comment on 2012. I'm on record that if Dooley can do it, he'll win 8 games in 2011. If he doesn't, then I'm not going to get my hopes up too much for 12.

3. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

With the talent we have on the offensive side, I dont see why we shouldnt compete for the East. Only issue is the depth on the DL. Our secondary will be stacked, as well as the LB corp

South Carolina will be starting a new QB, so it will be the Lattimore show
    Florida has Muschamp
    Georgia may have a new coach, depending on how far Richt falls in popularity after this season
    Kentucky is still Kentucky
    Vandy is still Vandy

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

South Carolina seems to be returning a lot once again. I haven't looked at the depth chart, but I have to think they'll be losing a lot after this year.
    Arkansas is losing some guys after this year, too correct?
    Florida should have a new QB.
    Georgia may have a new coach. I'm not sure what else they're losing.
    I think Bama could lose about 5 guys on defense. Wouldn't be surprised to see some guys on offense be gone, either.

No question they're going to replace the guys they lose with talent, but it seems like they all have questions.

Obviously we'll have a better idea after this season, but I can't see more than 2-3 of our opponents definitely being better than UT.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I guess I'm one of the few, but the schedule doesn't seem as daunting to me as it does others. I think Florida (even at the swamp), UGA, LSU and SC are all winnable games.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think they're winnable too. I don't necessarily have to see 8 wins so much as the team improve. A more consistent ground game, a better tackling D, a D that gets sacks and confuses the QB, etc. Dooley needs to win at bare minimum 7 to keep his seat cool though barring any devastating injuries to Bray or the WRs

2012 is when the wins better pour in.

7. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

Do we play NC State in the GA dome to kick off the season? Need to take my chidrens to a game and too expensive to go to Knoxville.