Let Go

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Sep 13, 2015.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Earlier this year I made one of my smarter decisions. I quit caring about UT athletics. Didn't follow UT news, didn't watch games, just totally gave up on it. The entire Donnie Tyndall debacle? I maybe watched five minutes of his entire career here. Think about that. What did I miss? Not a damn thing.

More recently I made a really idiotic decision. All the hype around this team, everyone talking about it all the time, it got me interested again. I was really close to make the drive to Nashville last weekend. Then this weekend, when I had the opportunity to sell my tickets for a pretty good sum, I passed. I cared too much about seeing the game to take the money. Horrible mistake. On par with Pete Carroll calling a pass at the end of the Super Bowl. It worked out terribly for me.

Just think about how things have gone lately. We tried everything we could to hang onto Fulmer for another fifteen years, until he finally completely imploded. We replaced him with an up and comer, who still hasn't found any real success. We replaced him with a guy from a school better known for women's basketball than football. He might have been the worst coach in conference history. And finally we are here with Butch, who was, depending on who you ask, anywhere from our fourth to sixth choice for the job. In terms of wins and losses he seems to be only a minor upgrade over his inept predecessor.

We've lost to Vandy. Lost to UF ten times in a row despite them having some horrible squads over that time. Keep in mind that Florida's "losers" (Ron Zook and Will Muschamp) are a combined 5-2 against the Vols, which should be 6-1 if not for an atrocious personal foul mistake in 2004. Baka shows no sign of slowing down and it's hard to imagine they aren't soon extending their streak to ten wins. Georgia tends to screw up a lot, so we may break that streak, but we aren't beating them consistently. The future is bleak.

The problems don't stop with football. We decided to follow up our most successful period in basketball by hiring and middle of the road coach in Cuonzo Martin. He underachieved for almost his entire stay in Knoxville. He left an empty roster for a guy that was ultimately fired for NCAA violations everyone with half a brain already suspected existed when we hired him. So that guy is replaced by recently fired Rick Barnes. Someone not good enough for your school? Send him our way, we'd love to have him. Just ask Mike DeBord, Willie Martinez, or John Jancek. Baseball is also a joke. Todd Raleigh wasn't even successful at a lower level. The guy we picked to replace him was probably the most proven winner we've in any hired in any sport in a decade. And guess what? He has sucked! Go big orange.

There is no reason to care anymore. We have losers in place everywhere. Our current administration has no history of hiring anyone but losers. It's institutional. UT sports are a terrible investment, both financially and emotionally. Really sit and think about it. It's a good bet that it's the worst investment in your life. When was the last time UT brought us a really, really great moment? How many times has UT made you inconsolably furious for days since then? Do yourself a favor and let it go. You'll be much happier. Go Vols (as in go away).

2. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I'm not emotionally capable of watching it anymore. It makes my life miserable.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I can't do it. It's too ingrained. But I feel you.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I still need a little more sorrow before I quit caring.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

stay tuned

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My foree back I to the season ticket ownership is going to last at max one year. I'm taking the kids next week because I've already promised them I would, but there's a decent chance that'll be it for me other than taking the kids for a long, long time. It's not worth it anymore.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Wait until we lose to Florida again, for the 11th year in a row.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

A little more sorrow could be found in a work of Shakespeare. This season is going to be full-on tragedy.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It'll take more than losing that game. I expect to stay fully pissed straight on through October.

10. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I'm either a masochist or too stubborn but...don't think I can ever get there.

But I wish I could, especially after nights like last night.

11. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Live outside of Knoxville, have young kids, it comes pretty easy after that...

First time I've watched a game live in 2 years, still regretting it.

The young ones liked the first half, glad they were in bed and not see their dad going into meltdown in the 2nd.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

These kind of things are good learning opportunities for my practice. Letting go is hard, however.

13. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

At least in my memory the only program I remember falling off so bad was LSU the last few years of Mike Archer and during the tenure of Curly Hallman.
    So I went back and looked a their records. During that 6 year period ('89-'94) they won 14 SEC games. For the first 3 years they only played 7 conference games.

Starting with Kiffin's first year where we went 4-4, we have won 14 conference games with 1 year of Kiffin, 3 of Dooley, and 2 from Lyle. Granted, Dooley's tenure was the worst - with just 5 wins in 3 years, but this has to be the worst a program has ever fallen in relatively recent history of college football.

With LSU that 7th year was the first year of Dinardo where they went 4-3-1. We have clearly hit a worse stretch given the 3-5 conference record in Fulmer's last year. But I really doubt Lyle wins 4 SEC games this year anyway.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

15. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

It's coming in 2 weeks at Florida

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If UT wins that game, 90+% of fans will forgive and forget Oklahoma.

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

We need to lose then.

18. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I actually woke up this morning with that loss on my mind as pathetic as it sounds. Can't remember the last time that happened. It's been a few years, but it's hard not to care when you grew up with it and were so attached to it. The problem yesterday mainly being that the game itself was ridiculously hyped to the point that it was hard not to get excited about it. I fell into the "trap" too.

19. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

This loss didn't hurt for more than an hour, been mistreated by those running the program for too long. When Botch and Debord decided to go into the turtle with 40 minutes left I knew it was over. So used to being let down that I just have no optimism left.

20. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I think my biggest problem with everything has been seeing the program fade, from a historical perspective, into the mediocrity of the conference. Consider this:

In the late 90's, we only had a losing record against only two SEC opponents: Alabama and Auburn.

Yes Florida has owned us from pretty much the 90's onward, but up until the early to mid 2000s we still held the edge against them in the all-time series. Now? They're up 25-19 against us all-time.

Missouri has now beaten us 3 times in a row and holds a 3-0 edge.

Georgia? The team we used to own in the 90's and consistently beat? Yeah that series is tied now 21-21.

Although we don't play them every year, we haven't beaten Auburn since '99 and the Bama series goes without saying.

We also seem to lose every time we play LSU these days and any other semi-competent team in the conference.