The controversy here in Denver concerning Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Aug 23, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Denver has the Tebow Fever. They wear his jersey. They drone on and on about what a good guy his constantly. They speculate about his virginity and conclude he is the second coming of Christ.

So last Saturday when Brady Quinn got the nod to start that preseason game rather than Tebow, a shit storm was unleashed. Apparently the Broncos anticipated this backlash to some degree, as they had John Elway announce that "since Tim got the start last week, it was only fair Brady get the nod this time." But it "didn't mean anything."

The fans booed Quinn's taking of the field. They wanted Tebow. When Tebow came in the game much later, you would have thought the Broncos just clinched the division. Talk radio in the Mile High City has been revolving around these events ever since. A rather salient point has been whether the booers were Broncos fans, or just Tebow fans first. Shouldn't the best QB win the job, regardless of their ability to circumcise and evangelize?

The Broncos are going to be an interesting team to keep an eye on this year. Their offense appears to be MUCH improved. But what effect this QB controversy and the apparent divinity of Tim Tebow will have on their season will likely be an interesting story line.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

tebow threw one pass in the last game. i don't get that either if you actually do think he's your qb of the future. what better experience can you give him than preseason football? seems to me like they don't think he's the answer.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Brady Quinn is pretty damn young, and has led the offense very well so far. Perhaps they are maximizing the snaps Quinn is getting in anticipation of playing the hot-hand.

But around here, all they can imagine is Tebow starting. If they start Quinn, he better win big.

4. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I wish Tebow would have landed somewhere like Philadelphia or New York where they would've booed the shit out of him every time they saw him.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i can't see quinn being a star qb ever. not saying tebow will be either, but he's a first round qb draft pick. expectations are for him to start.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Still can't believe they used a 1st round pick on the guy.

I don't dislike Tebow. He works hard and seems to be a genuinely good dude. I just resent being force-fed Tebow coverage every time I turn on the television over the past 4 years. He can't mask his deficiencies in the NFL with "character" and "effort." He's going to be exposed. Might've been best for them to dish Orton so they could get it out of the way this year.

7. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

And there it is.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. i thought he's looked decent in the limited time i've seen him play, but i don't see an elite qb there. vince young seems where he is going to. i see no evidence he is a good guy. just kind of dim filled with platitudes. i guess much of america fits that category as well.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tebow may have been drafted in the 1st round, but he wasn't a 1st rounder. I think Tebow could be one of the best second string, come in and win a game or two while the starter is out-type QB's in the league. Hell, maybe he could even be a Dilfer and luck into the perfect situation where they only needed a guy who won't mess up. But he isn't a franchise QB. Quinn has slightly more of a chance of being that.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Dim, no doubt.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hasn't Elway publicly stated he doesn't think Tebow can play?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he has implied that at one time, yes.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A few weeks ago Tebow went on a rant about how the media didn't know how hard he practices or how much he wants to succeed. He has never been 2nd string, much less 3rd string, in his life and he doesn't know how to handle it.

The idiotic "Start Tebow" crowd makes chuckle. He was a far from polished passer in college and he ran a simple offense. I don't see how you can want Tebow to start with a guy like Orton already in place if you know a damn thing about football.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yea, but Orton doesn't have enough fire and heart to give a spirited Varsity Blues locker room speech. That's what's been missing in Denver.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Maybe Tebow can circumcise a few children before each game in the locker room

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

[video=youtube;WO8imsZl1F8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO8imsZl1F8[/video]

Also, this commercial really irks me.

"they said I couldn't be a high school quarterback....they said I couldn't get a d1 scholarship"

Mother[uck fay]er you were the #1 qb recruit in the country. Spare me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO8imsZl1F8

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup that kills me. i knew who tebow was when he was in HS. guy was a HUGE recruit. this would be like barkley saying this.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, my real issue with Tebow is the false humility. His bitter statements about "how hard he works" and how he's never been 2nd/3rd string reveal he is human after all.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think I said the exact same thing

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Probably the logical move, but you know how that goes. They'll delay the inevitable and eventually force him into a starting role, destroy what little trade value he has, then ship him out of Denver.