College Basketball 2016/17

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Nov 12, 2016.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't really care. I hate the system as it is set up and wish it would change but don't see it happening anytime soon as long as the NBA has a free development program for their top stars. But let's not pretend that Shuchefskee has never had a problem with it either.

2. CardinalVol

He took great pride in all of his four year graduates for years. Seem to recall much lamentation when someoen finally left early.

Yeah, 2010, a year after Cal went to UK and changed the recruiting game. New system was really set in place then and he showed how awesome of a coach he was.

3. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this. I don't think people blame any individual player for leaving, when they think about it, but they are often painted as mercenaries (and four-year players as the opposite) which I think is unfair. Then, people talk about their coaches that way as well. To me, they're pretty much all mercenaries. Players would rather get paid in the NBA than embrace their unpaid amateurism, and coaches would rather recruit better players than worse ones. But some coaches and players can actually do it, and to the rest, we give the participation trophy of "oh, you're worse at basketball and/or recruiting, but you're better in terms of loyalty and scholarship."

4. NashVol11

I'm sure K has participated in the artificial elevation of four-year players. If he pulled a Bo Ryan and tried to shame programs for outrecruiting him and helping kids reach their goals, then I would have just as much of a problem with him.

Nothing really changed between 2010 and 2015, where he could win with four-year guys in 2010 but not in 2015. 2010, on paper, was the most loaded Kentucky team Cal has had. I agree with you that K changed strategies so he'd win more, but saying he "can't" win otherwise when he literally just did is over the top.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I was raised a Hoosier so the following schools can kiss my ass on principle alone. I don't give a shit what they did, do or will do. **** them.

Kentucky
    Purdue
    Duke
    Kansas

6. NashVol11

If not a shot at the players, it's at least a shot at the coaches who recruit them, IMO. Uni was taking a shot at Kentucky, not at the NCAA/NBA.

7. CardinalVol

Then why did he change course from his sanctimonius bullshit he had preached for years? He knew he was done for otherwise.

Yeah, he doesn't shame anyone, he just goes about his weasel ways of how it's done the "right way" at Duke.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

This I respect. I also feel this way about everybody in the SEC except Vandy (shut up, it's still my alma mater) and maybe Miss St, who I just kind of pity.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Exactly.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I heard a discussion over the summer on Kentucky Sports Radio about who should be in UK's ring of honor. Dan Issel? Jack Givens? Jamal Mashburn? Of course. Beside them?

Anthony Davis, 1&done, Finals MVP? OK.

John Wall and Demarcus Cousins, two one and dones who got beat in E8, but ushered in the current era? They thought so.

Brandon Knight? Towns? Cauley Stein? The Harrisons? Randle? Nerlins? Enis Cantor, who never played a snap? At some point it becomes ridiculous to compare Rick Robey or Pat Riley to Eric Bledsoe or Jamal Murray, but that's where we are.

11. NashVol11

Again, he wasn't done for. He just won a title that way. Most championships since then have been won that way. He likely thought a change would bring him more success, but that's different from saying he depended on that change to have ANY success.

Carolina does the "Carolina Way" thing and only hires from within; if "way" is what bothers you, there are far worse offenders. I lost respect for Ryan because he lost to a team and immediately started [itch bay]ing about how he lost because they were sellouts and he's not. If you have an example of K doing the same, I'll criticize him just as harshly, but I can't think of one.

12. CardinalVol

Here, let me lay it out for your Brentwood/Duke-thug-wannabe ass -

I think Shuchekskee is a bigger ****ing piece of shit than Cal, Scott Drew, and Dave Bliss all rolled into one. I cannot wait for the day until someone has had enough of his sanctimonious bullshit and exposes him. He's a ****ing weasel slimeball and I cannot stand him nor 99% of the typical Duke shithead fans/graduates.

13. NashVol11

Why would anyone want to be a thug? It's an easy path to character assassination. But anyway, that's fine, and proves my point--the derision toward one-and-dones is more about people's personal opinions of the coaches and players involved than anything else. That's why your argument about K being unable to win broke down, and you just started spewing angry bullshit.

14. CardinalVol

No, it's because he decided to change his recruiting to be able to. I didn't make that decision, he did it himself. I have no idea if he'd consistenylu won the other way, obviously he didn't think he could because he decided he'd mimick the one-and-done strategy as the best alternative.

And you are still a Brentwood-thug-wannabe dipshit. Nothing changes that.

15. NashVol11

It probably is the best alternative, and he adapted to it, which he should. I've been plenty critical about the stuff he said 10 years ago or whatever, but don't see the point of you bringing it up other than trying and failing to make some clever "gotcha" point.

16. CardinalVol

Stating that much like yoruself VKA, he's a little [itch bay].

17. NashVol11

I have zero affiliation with Brentwood. Since you know literally nothing about me, the constant assumptions about my character as a human being don't bother me, but you'll notice that I'm not doing the same.

18. NashVol11

Ooooh, got the old username that I listed on my public profile for months after changing it. I was really trying to hide from it, but that Card is so so clever

19. NashVol11

Also, Dave Bliss? You have clearly lost it.

20. CardinalVol

That's right, I got my Nashville rich area B's mixed up. My apologies.