Underdog Picks - Week 1

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by CardinalVol, Aug 28, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The game is simple. You've probably all entered a pool somewhere. Each week you pick an upset. If you get it, then you get the points assigned to that pick. Miss it, 0 points. Pick one game per week. You can only use each team once. I'll run a thread each week for you to make your picks. You have to have your picks in by Thursdays at 5 EST (so we can use the Thursday and Friday night games). Games from Tuesday and Wednesday are not pickable. If I see an edit to your post after 5 pm, your pick is thrown out. And your pick has to win outright for the win.

I'll probably do a mid-season contest too for newer visitors.

I'm not a gambler, but we'll use the lines as of Thursday morning. Who is the best to use?

I'll figure out some prize for the season winner. Probably buying your beer at some 8th get together*.

Thoughts?

*-subject to some $ limitation that I've not decided yet.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think a single beer of their choosing not entering into double digit dollar figures would be a nice prize. But then, I'm easy.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Anyone who picks Montana over Tennessee may be banned.

I have two possible upset games in mind, but need confirmation as to whether BSU-Georgia is a toss-up even worthy of calling an outcome an "upset."

4. CardinalVol

That's why I am waiting to see what lines to use. I would use USA Today, but that's Danny Sheridan's and I really just want him to go away right now.

5. WM

WM Active Member

USF over Notre Dame -10

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, that's a good one. The other one I had in mind was TCU-Baylor. I think Baylor can hang.

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

8. CardinalVol

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i assume you have to win against the spread and not outright right? I'm going with UC Davis 35.5 underdogs to ASU.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

They have to win outright. You get however many points the spread was. So UC Davis has to beat ASU and you would get 35.5 points. So you'll probably want to switch your pick.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Robert Griffin III may be the best overall athlete in college athletics

12. CardinalVol

Yes, you do have to win outright.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

gotcha. my bad. i'm going with LSU over Oregon. Oregon currently a 2 point favorite.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That game scares me. Chavis has no idea how to defend an offense like Oregon's but he has a ridiculous amount of talent on D. Auburn was able to beat Oregon because the DL dominated up front. LSU has a few Fairleys of their own but Chavis is stuck in the '90s.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

off season to prepare and tons of nfl talent on D. if Cal's dline can destroy oregon's oline then LSU should do even better particurally considering oregon lost a bunch of oline starters (reports out of camp say oregon has had a half a dozen or so different starting lineups on the oline). also historically oregon really sucks on the road.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The John Chavis factor cannot be stressed enough. The man has no clue how to stop a team like Oregon. The defense may have enough talent to bail him out but the D won't stop Oregon because of the gameplan.

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

LSU just has too many better football players. Too talented up front defensively.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

cal's DC came from the pros so he didn't have much experience with it either. it's not an overly complicated scheme to stop as long as you get penetration. i just saw oregon is starting a true freshman at center. wow.

19. CardinalVol

Brave. Very brave.

20. CardinalVol

Also, is everybody ok if we use the link chavis posted above?