Shrout or Maurer?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Sep 9, 2019.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Give me Maurer. Not only is he more athletic, but he seems to me to be the guy who makes a mistake and it doesn't crush him mentally. Shrout seems ok, but i get the feeling that he won't open up the offense enough, either.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Give me the one with the best head on his shoulders/feel for the game. For that matter, play them both, a la Ainge and Schaeffer, and ride the one that gels with the team and is getting first downs. Yeah, it's a bad idea, but have you seen the results so far?

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I doubt Maurer is anywhere close to Dobbs’ running ability.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How do we have so many problems finding "the guy" at QB? There are multiple guys in my semi-competitive adult flag football league here in Baltimore that are probably more accurate than JG. How the hell is he our guy?

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

improvement was shown from a coaching standpoint and players were motivated and in position to win the game multiple times. Players know.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there are a lot of true frosh qbs looking serviceable these days. shrout was always supposed to be a head case.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch recruited JG because he was buddies with his dad. Butch stopped recruiting QBs after that

8. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Both should get significant playing time vs UTC

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Quick decision & release, 48 yards in the air on a rope, over a defender and right in stride on the sideline.

I’d bet JG couldn’t make that throw vs air.

10. Tenacious D

Definitely don’t start watching from 2:11, forward. Could make you ill.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Damn. That was a nice throw. It was against UT's defense so you gotta take that into consideration.

12. Tenacious D

This reminds me....where tf is Tyler Bird?!

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Also easier to do when you know the LB isn't going to break you in half.

lylsmorr likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Maurers head always scanning while he steps up in the pocket or buys time. He wont show out in practice with robotic reps.

Memtownvol likes this.
  15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Anyone but JG.

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. GahLee

I was impressed by his ability to move in the pocket, find an open guy and then make a pretty good throws on the run or without his feet set. Seems to have good enough wheels to pull it and be a threat but always seemed to look for the pass first.

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. GahLee

It would be nice to have a playmaker at QB. It isnt needed though. Just make the reads and get the ball out. And dont throw in to triple coverage when the defenders on the other side of the field are taking a nap.

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I feel like Shrout would be Peterman levels of suck or we'd all be on here Saturday evening discussing how likely he is to win the Heisman before he leaves Tennessee. No in between.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Maurer has the moxy I like in a QB. The kid tried to go in without being told when JG got his shoe tossed. I definitely think he gives us the best chance from here on out.

20. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

If Maurer isn’t playing by halftime of next weeks game that’ll tell me all I’ll ever need to know about Pruitt. If he’s got a beef with Maurer because of his being one of “Helton’s guys” that’s Botch level pettiness. UT don’t have time for that shit.