Potential Assistants

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I believe Mayo did as well

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I didn’t know the name. Was he a starter?

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Just read the Wikipedia article. Apparently he was pretty good.

4. Ssmiff

Kacy was a baller. Won 2 sec championships while he was here.

Savage Orange likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was on some pretty good teams

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I was watching then. I can name a lot of players on that Miracle at South Bend team. And I have the 1990 Sugar Bowl on VHS. I just don’t remember his name at all. Fail by me because I was fairly obsessed as a kid.

7. Ssmiff

I was on campus at that time and hes same age as me. Again back then, there was a lot of interaction between players and students, either at frat houses or on the strip or wherever really.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Pretty much.

The HC was Jeff Francis. Chief was DC. Both forgot more about football than I’ll ever know. I likely couldn’t intelligently speak to either on the subject, tbh.

The lesson, for me at least, and particularly when one looks at Bama / Clemson / OSU /OU, is that you can have as many great coaches as you want, 10,000 “analysts”, 5* athletes across the board, etc. - there’s only so much that 85 kids can absorb and simultaneously execute, 11 players, 1 football, 1 down and for 4 quarters at a time.

Which reminds me....

Bama isn’t appreciably better than they were two years ago, when an all-time bad TN team had seized momentum in Birmingham, was about to punch it in to get within a TD late in the 2nd half....and with Pruitt as coach and JG at QB.

They’re not appreciably better than they were several years ago, when a Butch Jones-lead team took the lead late in the game on a Jalen Hurd TD, and also in Birmingham.

[uck fay] Alabama. That’s my point, here.

And TN isn’t appreciably worse, even now. Oh, we lost a bunch of “talent” off of a 3-7 team? Oh gosh, how could we possibly find average speed LB’s who manage to both get lost in space on every down and somehow still never be around the ball carrier / receiver, even by pure accident? Goodness, how can we possibly replace Wanya “The Turnstile” Morris at tackle? I liked that kid better when he was called “Drew Richmond” - overhyped and soft, both inside and out, upstairs and down.

Good riddance. Don’t give one shit that they’re gone.

At least with Heupel’s QB-laden offensive-driven scheme we’re at least playing the right game now, and will have a puncher’s chance in every game. That’s more than we’ve had for several years now. If we get 4-5 stops a game, by hook or by crook, we’ve got a chance to beat anyone, certainly including Bama.

I’m tired of everyone licking their boots and anointing them King each season. That’s a big part of the overall problem.

Because again, and I cannot stress this enough, [uck fay] Alabama.

9. Ssmiff

Ha. The wayna morris drew richmond part was awesome. Gonna steal it.

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Lots of truth...especially the f Bama part. The reality is we picked a really good defensive coordinator with an immeasurably low IQ to lead the football program at the exact time Saban was embracing offense and the paradigm in the SEC was shifting.

At the very least it seems like we might allow the new AD to usher the program into the 21st century, and maybe the offense will be watchable again.

11. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Short and to the point...classic Tenny. Yes!

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I liked it for the 7th and final paragraphs.

utvol0427 likes this.
  13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

It was incredibly hard to get on the field if you were in the front 7 in 1990.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

It is pretty damn funny that we have an entire offensive staff at the moment that we're pretending we haven't hired. And on the other hand we have no clue what's happening on defense.

justingroves likes this.
  15. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

This seems like the perfect DC opportunity. First of all, Heupel doesn’t care about managing the defense so you won’t be micromanaged and you really can be in control. Also, you already have a built in excuse if your numbers don’t look good due to the type of offense Heupel is running. Your asked to get a few stops a game and your offense is likely giving you more than 24 points to cover your ass.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

White isn't kidding about leaks

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Good. About time there's some leadership and professionalism in the AD.

18. TDVol1989

Anyone else getting auto logged out constantly?

19. TDVol1989

Jancek interviewing today ?

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Did you hang 60 like Alcoa though?