Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We don’t have much capitalism left but sell the idea that’s what we still are instead of cronyism of a system that’s hard to separate out the federal and corporate interests

2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Why is it only one of you? It doesn’t really matter what you each want you’re gonna get a turd either way. Texture and smell of the turd may vary some but you’re getting a turd.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

From my understanding of history, cronyism has been an integral part of Capitalism (see 1920ish Teapot Dome Scandal) for quite some time and is not reserved for today's politics or generations.

For that matter, I suspect cronyism and it's brothers/sisters/cousins, by whatever name you want to give them, are pretty much a part of every political system. Because, humans.

It is a delicate balance as to how to minimize and/or control it.

Editorial Note: State "control/rights" is not the panacea and just pushes the cronyism to the local levels and will cause a wild variation in the levels graft, depending on the state and the Boss Hawg infrastructure Jmo.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
    SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't. It was a simple illustration. There are 340 million of us. And to say "you're only going to get a turd" is circular because the exchange was about why we get turds.

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I am curious as to what folks think is the best political system for our country of 50 individual "states".

How do you want to be governed?
    How would "cronyism" and "corporate" graft be minimized in that system?
    If you generally like what we have, how can it be improved?
    What would it take to get you involved to make those improvements?

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think a good start would be term limits in Congress.

7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Thank you for your thoughts.

Then, may I assume "you generally like what we have, but want it improved"?

Then I would push the concept with your current reps. Tell them, repeatedly. Look for candidates that are receptive to that change, no matter their tribe. I know. It is easier said than done.

8. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

These are probably stupid and/or over the line but:

1. limit public campaign funding and audit elected federal officials periodically

2. blind trusts being a requirement. Maybe even overseen/handled by the IRS in conjunction with banking representatives.

just get the 1%s greasy mitts out of the govt

NorrisAlan and Poppa T like this.
  9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

BTW.

Yes, I am that old guy who votes in every election. Who bugs the shit out of my elected reps, whether I voted for them or not. I castigate them if they are acting like spineless, greedy, party sycophants who are not interested in compromised solutions that benefit the working man.

I did this when I was young and I do it now. Has it helped? Apparently not much, given the current state of affairs with our elected officials. But I will keep on tilting at windmills until I die.

And yes, I kept my season tix throughout the Dooley, Jones, Pruitt cluster-[uck fay].

10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Thank you.

I like those.

I am of the opinion that if I am held to rigid rules as an individual in a corporation relative to investments and to avoid even the appearance of "insider" trading, so should ALL elected officials.

I am of the belief that Supreme Courts' ruling in favor of "Citizens United" was wrong and opened the door for the gross amount of "cronyism" and "graft" that has been discussed.

Volsdude likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Cut government pensions. They can contribute to their own 401K and get social security for retirement.

Poppa T and Volsdude like this.
  12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s circular really. That collision of the force of wills is the part I don’t really agree with. Do you think we’d truly get the changes that make sense if either Democrats or Republicans had their way? I don’t. I think most things go about like Obamacare did and the big players get bigger and the average Joe gets hosed.

13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

This has merit as long as "government" includes Congress. I am in favor of Congress living under the same financial limitations that their constituents must. And I have never liked them being able to give themselves raises.

They (Congress) allowed Corporations to dissolve Defined Pensions and move employees to Cash Balance and 401Ks.

I am the last group in my company who got a Defined Pension. We fought the unilateral move for all to Cash Balance, because we had based our retirement plans on a pension and were too old to recover via Cash Balance/401K.

We won and were given the choice to choose. It was a mathematical no-brainer.
    We must give older government employees that choice.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Absolutely includes Congress, I would want to start with them on it.

Poppa T likes this.
  15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Thought the same. That's a lot of fist and feet on one person. Brutal.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

86 pages for this thread. yikes

19. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

New year, same problem.

Des Moines, Iowa, at a school. No info on numbers of casualties nor extent of damage. Shooter is dead.

I am glad that they are withholding the information on the numbers and extent until they have a clear picture.