What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I think that’s the most likely way to get there and will still be surprised if it doesn’t happen, I just think they are going to do something to make it hurt even more this time

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We aren't traveling over the holidays, so I'm ready for some relaxation and gaming. Gonna play some Apex, GTA Online, might start that God of War DLC that everyone's raving about, probably start Deathloop (might finish it if it's good).

Wife and I have been playing Overcooked 2 together, which has been fun. We are going to try that It Takes Two game as well. She's not really into video games, but occasionally she finds one that she enjoys that we can play together, which is nice.

What's everybody else planning to play?

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm really getting into Ghost of Tsushima right now. I started it a couple of times before and life got in the way and I fizzled out on it, but going strong now. Phenomenal game, so far.

I played Deathloop at release and enjoyed it. It's different than anything else that I've played.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

So i splurged this year on my son who’s been thru quite a bit and had asked for a “gaming system” last year. I told him it’s too much but let’s see how this year goes with school etc and he had a good year. Did I choose right? He doesn’t know it’s coming. I don’t know anything about this stuff but he was going to sell his Xbox and save up to try and get one so I guess it’s the new thing? Or maybe it’s old thing and I just found out.

Attached Files:

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ghost of Tsushima is a lot of fun. Great game to run through once and never touch again. I remember it very fondly.

I remember Deathloop getting a lot of positive chatter in here a while back. It was part of what drove me to get Game Pass.

Oh, I'll probably play some Fallout as well. Started 3 again after getting back from our trip. Just haven't had much time for it.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lots of gamers have moved/are moving to PC. Most buy individual parts and build their own. Couple buddies helped me with mine a year or so ago. Haven't used it very much, unfortunately, because it just feels weird working in the office all day and then flipping over to gaming in the same room. I also don't really care to teach myself how to play on moues and keyboard.

You probably need to post the specs if you want true feedback on what you bought though.

7. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

You did great pops he’s gonna love it

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Agree with Indy, show us them specs

9. Volsdude

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Who the hell adds a 4060TI to a system with an i5? Why would a company offer that combo to a user? i7 minimum, i9 better. Used to I could build a nice gaming tower for ~$1K, but now its a minimum $2K

IP likes this.
  11. Volsdude

i5 is fine for gaming. Sure a 7 or 9 would be better but it’s not going to sink the kid

12. Ssmiff

Dang I coulda upgraded for about $150 but figured it was enough.

13. Volsdude

You’re fine. Processors are more important if you’re streaming/video editing. Easy to upgrade down the line when needed. Don’t listen to the size queen.

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah this. First system I built was super solid and had an i5

I just wanted to see specs because I like to see specs

Volsdude likes this.
  15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It's not your fault, that combo shouldn't be an option. It's like putting a big engine in a car then outfitting it with 12" wheels. It may not be a problem depending on what's played, but putting a big graphics card in a machine with that is engineering malpractice.

16. Ssmiff

This is the site. Probably make some of your eyes light up. Looks like my old fancy cd player that shuffled discs for shuffle play.
    https://nzxt.com/

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's interesting. Better graphics card than me, but slower processor and less ram.

Should be fine.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Doesn't every kid stream these days?

19. Volsdude

Most don’t that I know, but other circles may vary

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I know that no one here plays the game, so I'm wasting my time typing all of this out, but I just gotta get this off my chest. Apex added "Promotional Trials" to their ranked system, and it might be the dumbest [uck fay]ing change to a video game that I've ever seen.

Here's how Apex's ranked mode works in a nutshell:
    • Players are ranked in standard tiers: rookie --> bronze --> silver --> gold --> platinum --> diamond --> master --> predator (Top 750 players)
      • You start in rookie and work your way up from there as you play
      • Each tier has 4 sub-tiers until you get to masters. So bronze 4 is the lowest tier of bronze, and bronze 1 is the highest tier of bronze. Same with silver, plat, etc.
      • You advance through the tiers and sub tiers via "ladder points" (LP), which are gained or lost each match
      • Losing early means you lose points. Winning or placing high in a game means you gain points. Getting kills/assists also helps you get points
      • So, as an example:
        • In a platinum lobby, I start every game at -50 LP.
        • If my team dies while ranked 11th-20th, I get negative points (-30 or -50, depending on when my team dies)
        • If my team gets 9th or 10th, we hold even at 0 LP (nothing gained, nothing lost).
        • If we get top 8, we go positive for LP, with the maximum being 150 LP (I believe) for winning the game.
        • You also get points for kills/assists, but not much. I think I remember winning a game recently where I had 3 kills and an assist, and I got 180 LP (150 for the win, 30 for the kills).
        • And I'm pretty sure the kills ONLY count if you get in the top 10. I believe you could get a high number like 8 kills, but if you finish 11th, you're getting negative LP
      • Each sub tier requires 1,000 LP to move up. So if you are 200 LP into Platinum 3, you need another 800 LP to get into Platinum 2.
    Here's what they added/changed:
    • In the past, to move from one tier to the next (such as gold 1 to platinum 4, silver 1 to gold 4, etc.), you just had to get the points to move up. So if you needed 1,000 points, once you hit that 1,000, you moved up.
    • This season, in order to move from one overarching tier to the next, you have to go through "promotional trials."
    • These trials unlock the moment you hit that 1,000 LP to move up into the next tier.
    • The trials require you to complete a challenge within a set number of games (5 to start) in order to advance. For example:
      • In the earlier tiers, the challenge is something like:
        • Get a combination of 3 kills and assists while placing Top 10 in two separate games (out of 5)

OR

• Win a game (during the 5 game span)
      • As you get higher in the tiers, the first option goes away, and your only option is to "Win a game" in order to advance.
    Here's why they changed it (which I totally understand):
    • Because you get significantly more points for winning/placing high than you do for killing people, a lot of people avoid fighting at all costs
    • As a result, you get players who aren't very good at the game moving up into higher tiers because they simply don't fight anyone. They avoid people all game, place somewhere in the top 5, get their positive LP, and move up the tiers
    • The game INCENTIVIZES this behavior
      • If you are one of 5 squads left in a small circle, you stand to gain significantly more points by letting other teams fight than you do by pushing and fighting other teams. You can just sit in a corner while 3 teams fight, and once 2 of them are dead, you will get more points for doing nothing.
      • But say you decide to fight a team... even if you beat the team you push, another team is sitting there watching, waiting to jump on you as soon as your first fight finishes, before you have time to heal up.
    • So they added promotional trials to force these "rats" to actually play the game and fight. Once you get to Platinum 1 trials, you HAVE to win a game to move to Diamond. So if you "ratted" your way to that point without fighting, you will struggle to move forward further because you won't be able to win a game against higher skilled players
    • The entire point is to force players to "prove" they deserve to be in the next tier by winning a game in their current tier
    Here are the reasons it's the dumbest [uck fay]ing change to a video game that I've ever seen:
    • The game matches you with players well above your tier/skill level almost every single game
      • If I'm Platinum 1 doing my trials to get to Diamond, there are always Master level players in my lobby, and sometimes even Predator level players. Not to mention all the Diamond players.
      • Why should I be expected to beat MASTER level players in order to get to DIAMOND rank? It makes no sense.
      • Last night, I finished the last game of my trials getting killed by a Predator player who, at some point, was the 436th best Apex player in the world. There is no reason I should have to beat that player in order to get to DIAMOND rank.
    • It doesn't take anything into account until you reach the trials
      • I had multiple tiers where I won a game in order to GET to the trials. So, for example, I needed 30 LP to get to the trials, and I won the game, getting 180 LP. Instead of the game saying, "okay, you won a game just now, which proves you are good enough to move up," it just doesn't count it.
      • Instead, you have to win ANOTHER game because now you are in your trials.
      • You could win 5 games in a row leading to your trials, and the game would still require you to win another game once you reach trials
      • The first day I moved into Platinum --> Diamond trials, I had won THREE (3) games in the Platinum 1 rank that day. I literally won 2 games out of the last 5 prior to hitting my trials. Since moving into trials, I have played THIRTY FIVE (35) trials games without a single win.
      • It took me all of 10 seconds to come up with the idea that there should be challenges that can be completed while moving through the tiers to bypass the trials.
    • The average win percentage in Apex is 5%, so requiring a 20% win rate to move forward is ridiculous on its face

• There are way too many things that are completely out of your control that can prevent you from winning a game.
      • I played 5 trials games the other night. My buddy lagged out of 1, and I lagged immensely in 2 of them. That's 3 of my 5 games significantly impacted by Apex's garbage servers
      • If you solo queue (drop into a game with 2 random people as teammates), you can get teammates who:
        • Just don't play
        • Don't have microphones and can't communicate
        • Run off by themselves
        • Are more interested in fighting every fight, getting damage, and getting kills, than they are in winning the game
        • Don't understand the intricacies of the strategy of the game
        • Just don't want to play your strategy (which is fine, but not ideal for you trying to win your trials)
    • It incentivizes the same exact camping/ratting that the trials are meant to prevent
      • When the only thing that helps you is winning, there's no incentive to fight until you absolutely have to.
      • When people have no incentive to fight, they rat, hide, and avoid until they can't anymore. It leads to 6+ squads in the final circle and total, un-fun mayhem.
    Just beyond stupid. I've been playing trials for 3 straight nights, and I'm edging on de-installing the game.