NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Aug 18, 2014.

1. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Thin line between aggressive and stupid.

VolDad and justingroves like this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I said there was something fundamentally off about the Ravens play calling today - that they’ve been a dominant running team all season yet never even tried to establish it today. I posted a stat directly backing up that sentiment, and you responded by asking if “Lamar [is] allowed to check or not allowed to like Guarantano.”

That’s you implying that the lack of runs is Lamar’s fault. That he should have checked into more runs, or that he checked out of the runs they called. It’s an asinine stance based in fantasy.

Like the LeBron discussion, we find ourselves in a situation where I actually watch Lamar play (both in person and on TV), and you comment on the one or two times you watch every couple years.

NashVol11 and TennTradition like this.
  3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Man. Such a blasé Super Bowl I guess I’ll root for the 49ers but will only be happy if Jajuan catches a TD pass.

InVolNerable and Unimane like this.
  4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

(And yes I would consider Baltimore advancing an upset and not blasé)

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Make it three, just for funsies

TennTradition likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

A vol is guaranteed a ring. That is all I care about.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

@Ssmiff (emphasis mine)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...t-49ers-chiefs-beat-ravens-advance-super-bowl

It's like Barnwell read my posts to help inform his article.

Yeah, Lamar has the ability to check into and out of runs, but the fact that Hill was on the field far more than Edwards, despite Edwards being the feature back, shows that Monken was abandoning the run via his play calling. Lamar doesn't have the ability to sub Hill off in favor of Edwards on a play-by-play basis.

My guess: a 10 point lead probably felt like 21 against Patrick Mahomes and this Chiefs offense, especially with how the Ravens defense played for most of the first half. Monken called the second half like he needed to score 4-5 more times when 2 more TD's would have won them the game. If you could have told him at halftime that 2 second half touchdowns win them the game, he probably calls that second half completely differently.

That's by far the biggest reason they lost, from an offense perspective, and it is also what caused Jackson's struggles. It's textbook setting your guy up for failure. He's not "choking" - he's just not good at leading that type of offense. That's just not his game, and they've built their entire team around not putting him in that situation. Their defense is so good that even if they trail, the game will never be so out of hand that they have to go pass-first. And yesterday's game wasn't out of hand, even if it felt out of hand. Monken overreacted to that feeling.

10. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I don’t think playing Justice Hill over Edwards when they've rotated both all season is "abandoning the run" as much as it is about matchups. But the hot takes about Lamar, who would be an elite QB with or without his legs, from the "RB playing QB" casual fans is very annoying

11. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

If we really start getting "Purdy > Lamar" discourse I'm becoming a Swiftie for the next 2 weeks

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i'm not saying i'd take purdy over Lamar but until Lamar quits crapping the bed, it's going to be what it's going to be

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're misunderstanding my point, which is understandable, because it's a stupid point to have to make. But I'm arguing with ssmiff, so it shouldn't be surprising that I'm having to make it.

The fact that they ran Edwards and Hill a combined 6 times when the two average 17 runs a game is all the evidence one should need to prove that the Ravens "abandoned the run."

Ssmiff responded to me blaming their abandoning of the run on the OC by saying that Lamar has the ability to check into and out of plays (he never clarified whether he meant Lamar should have checked into more run plays or that Lamar was checking out of the run plays called by the OC). So he's laying the blame for abandoning the run on Lamar. That's why Hill getting nearly 70% of the snaps is important - it shows that the OC wasn't calling as many run plays - otherwise, Edwards would have been in the game more.

I get that they rotate both guys, but Edwards is the "feature" back from a numbers perspective when it comes to running the football. He's had more than double the number of carries of Hill this season, while Hill has 2.5 times as many catches and 3 times as many targets. They clearly run the ball more with Edwards and throw the ball more to Hill. So the fact that Hill played nearly 70% of snaps while Edwards played closer to 30% helps to solidify the point that the OC was the person abandoning the run via his play calling.

In other words - it's not Lamar's fault that the Ravens OC decided to abandon the run game.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Who u taking?
    3-1 record with 1 turnover and 96 rating
    2-4 with 12 turnovers and 76 qb rating.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If you’re asking me to start a franchise right now probably Lamar. Another year or 2 I could change my mind.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

That loss he only played like, a series before being injured too. Fwiw

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Okay a few things here before this becomes another goalpost-moving, “shit on Purdy”fest like the rest of the internet this season

1) I don’t think anyone said Purdy could throw it deep as well as Lamar
    2) still, you are cherry-picking
    3) For someone that constantly calls out officiating, you sure are conveniently glossing over the obvious PI on that one. They even threw a flag that they picked up for some reason.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

lol at Lamar being as accurate as Purdy.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

And I’ve watched every second of football Purdy has played in the NFL so I’m happy to talk about the kid and his strengths and weaknesses