24-25 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tar Volon, Mar 31, 2024.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or sign multi year nil's with bigger incentives for consecutive years

NorrisAlan, Tar Volon and A-Smith like this.
  2. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

That’s where they were at until the West Virginia case in January. Court issued an injunction on much the same grounds as our case. Courts have made it clear that any NCAA reg along those lines is going to be slapped down on anti-trust grounds.

There’s a pretty straight forward solution that’s solves all this, but many of the folks on the university side refuse to accept it. I was at a lunch yesterday where UTC’s coach participated in a roundtable. He was lamenting the state of transfers and NIL in men’s hoops and discussing that even SoCon players are getting $250k-$300k in NIL, but then says something to the effect of “we can’t make them employees because that’s not in their best interest.” He would never say why that wasn’t in their best interest, but employee status, with collective bargaining and employment contracts is the only way out of this quagmire.

IP, A-Smith and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  3. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

The institutions don't want to share any of their revenues.

IP and A-Smith like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is he aware that many of us worked through school, and some even at the school we attended? Is it in a graduate student's interest to be a teaching assistant or lab tech?

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think there is some truth to this. Which bucket that player $ comes out of is very important to them.

IP likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think that has to be it

7. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

It will definitely have to evolve some. I go back and forth on how much I expect it to stabilize as we get further into the NIL era. On one hand players will learn that for the most part transferring multiple times doesn’t serve their long term interest. On the other hand, we’re talking about kids that lack the maturity to make responsible decisions, not to mention that the people in their ear often aren’t looking out for them.

To quote No Country for Old Men, if it ain’t a mess it’ll do til the mess gets here.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I wonder if some of these NIL contributors will chill a bit after they get burned a few times. Idk, I guess it never mattered with recruiting

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unlikely because each recruit is like a loot box or slot machine pull. Gamblers don't cool it.

10. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

[QUOTE="HCKevinSteele, post: 1260119, member: On one hand players will learn that for the most part transferring multiple times doesn’t serve their long term interest.[/QUOTE]

Problem is each kid has only one college experience, so no chance to apply the learning. There's going to have to be some caps and some transfer restriction or payment contingent on staying.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

10SEvols, IP and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  13. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Whats our chances with the sharpshooter from Belmont?

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ooooorrrrrr lose tax exempt status because if athletes are employees then that tax exempt thing becomes questionable.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So, who we getting?

16. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Some guy called in to Basilio saying that he heard the Dubar guy from Hofstra left without an offer because he measured in 3 inches shorter than he was listed. Take that with a grain of salt of course, but who knows.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Story of my life.

18. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Took him anyway. Hopefully that’s not bad news with Tyson since they are basically the same size or potentially smaller.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's assuming the 3 inches thing is true. We don't know. We will have a sense when next to others

Tar Volon likes this.
  20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So did he grow? If so, is he willing to share his secret?