POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Both parties are nominating the only person capable of losing to the other. What a time to be alive.

2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Um, no? Texas is the first stop after coming into the US for many migrants. Many migrants already have family in Texas. There are plenty of jobs in Texas. There are not many jobs in Wyoming.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not necessarily going for the “migrants are filing into Texas at the behest of Democrats” argument, but the Wyoming/Dakotas argument is silly.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    zehr27 likes this.
  3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Wyoming and the Dakotas are not places Dems want to "move" to.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Ah so people move based laregely on job prospects and not how the state voted in the last presidential election. Glad we're in agreement.

5. HCKevinSteele

Well, that’s one part of it. Another part, the most significant part when it comes to people illegally crossing our southern border by the millions, is that we’re allowing it to happen.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If there was some conspiracy to flip the electoral vote, the evil antisemitic jew, George Soros, would buy a few million acres of land in Wyoming and move 200K liberals into Wyoming and flip the state. Instead of working with the global cabal to orchestrate immigration into Texas with little to no effect.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have in fact met one person that was specifically planning to move to Georgia so he could vote in the runoff a few years ago. He was of course unemployed.

justingroves and zehr27 like this.
  8. HCKevinSteele

Overly simplistic way to look at it, imo. You can’t move 200k people to Wyoming. There aren’t jobs or housing or enough infrastructure to do that. Nobody said “global cabal” here. Democrats are good at playing the long game. In fact it’s arguably their greatest strength relative to Republicans.

Little to no effect? You’re living in a fantasy world if you think that. Hispanics outnumber any other group in Texas. In a generation it will be a majority Hispanic state.

Again, I’m not making the argument this is the result of Democratic maneuvering and nothing else. Far more complicated than that. But we’ve allowed Hispanics to come into the US illegally by the millions, and it ain’t 100% for the labor force.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

We are in agreement. The concept that people are moving to influence the electoral vote is idiotic and makes no sense.

For example, I live in Alabama, a state that's bottom 8 in any quality of life metric. I could move an hour north into Tennessee and live in a bottom 15 state, but that's not what's important to me. I'm not here because the state is great, its a shit hole. I live here because I have a good job in a small bubble of something approaching a civilized community and can buy my way out of the state's numerous short comings due to my job. All that to say, people live where they live because of jobs. All things being equal, political issues may provide a tie breaker when given different options. But by and large jobs are why people live where they live, not to influence politics. Politics is a natural byproduct of the ebbs and flows of the people that make up a community, its not the main driver of the moves.

IP likes this.
  10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I believe if you read up a little bit someone gave you example of this happening.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Bigger reason for any left shift in any state is:

Population.

The bigger the population, the more it will start to lean left because of the need for more civil services.

12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I can agree that the choices presented by both major parties are very disappointing (to say the least).

Speaking for myself, people of my age when they were of working age typically moved/lived (1) where the jobs were and/or (2) close to family or (3) in a region where you feel the most comfortable and were still relatively "close".

The younger generations have more flexiblability relative to work choice location due to technological advancements. They are more comfortable in traveling greater distances to visit family.

I know of no one that has moved due to voting preference. Movement was always because there was a better job and/or they missed family.

I am sure it sounds better to say, I'm moving to "x" to vote for "y", than I'm moving to "x" because I don't have a job and my chances are better in getting one on "y".

I suspect migrants have the same location drivers (work and family and community).

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah a onesie example of something I'm being told is happening with hundreds of thousands if not millions of people. Then when pointed out how much more effective it would be to target different areas we're told its a ridiculous notion by those very same people. Weird. So yeah, there is no evidence of this happening at a scale approaching statistical noise much less statistical significance.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's happened, we don't know the scale yet but someone on this small board has seen it first hand so it's happening.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Migrants can't vote. If it was a strategy to flip states by moving people in, it would very, very easy to do it to Wyoming.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

He or she moved there, established residency, and registered in time all within a couple of months?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

For the record, if I could have my same job and live in Wyoming, I would. I have a coworker that is remote that lives in Wyoming. I am from Idaho. It is a great place to live. I have a friend whose parents retired to South Dakota and my brother was a forest fire fighter there for years. I would totally move there.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don’t know if he followed through. Seemed like a lot of work for an obvious loser, but he at least had the notion to do so.

He had already mentioned he had no job and then later told me he was about to move to Georgia. “Oh, you got a job lined up?” “Nah, just want to get down there in time to vote in the runoff.”

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Would have been 3 weeks between the November election and the registration cutoff for the runoff.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

At a minimum jobs are a lot less of a factor than in moving to Tennessee than it once was. I meet a lot of new residents. I’m primarily seeing retirees looking for lower cost of living or young people keeping their old jobs and working remotely.

I’m sure it’s different in Austin, TX, but that’s what I see in East TN.