Chip v. Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Oct 18, 2017.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think Kelly can compete with Bama. I won't be throwing up the white flag if we somehow wound up with him.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

“In the NFL, what they did is the officials stand over the ball until the officials are ready to call the game,” Alabama head coach (and Kelly friend) Nick Saban explainedin 2014. “The coach at Philadelphia ran 83 plays a game at Oregon, and runs 65 a game in Philadelphia. … When they went to Philadelphia in the NFL and they were going so fast, the officials said, ‘We control the pace of the game.’ The league said, ‘The officials control the pace of the game, not a coach.’”

https://www.theringer.com/2016/9/9/16036650/chip-kelly-san-francisco-49ers-offense-f332f053870e

3. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He’s clearly option 2, but he’s not winning a bunch of recruiting battles against Saban. Gruden will. More verve, more command, more recognizable, more likable etc. isn’t a real comparison IMO.

It isn’t like hiring Madden from MNF night have been, but it’s not far off.

5. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Yep. Especially the ones wearing crimson

6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Thank GOD I found my way back!! I've been reduced to scouring the net for UT news at the most godawful places...

7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This. I haven't been able to put into words quite like that, but that's pretty much how I feel... I'm surrounded by folks that laugh their asses off any time I express any thought that includes Gruden being our next coach. I really want to smash their faces in it if he were to take the job...

8. GoVols

GoVols Member

Is your goal to unite the fanbase or win football games? Because only one of them has a proven track record of success in college, the other is a complete unknown.

[ddiapos] was an unknown, Butch Jones was an unknown and John Gruden is also an unknown. Why take the risk when a guy like Chip Kelly is unemployed?

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Who is this Gruden you speak of? Never heard of him.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Unknown?

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

lololololololololololololol

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Just checked the address bar to make sure I hadn't accidentally clicked on VN by mistake.

13. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

People really are this [ucking fay] dumb.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's risk with Kelly too. He has a "show cause" in his history. He is known not to like to recruit and will now be in a league where you can't get away with not doing so. His offense is not as cutting edge anymore. There are many answers to "why" I may prefer the "unknown" of a super bowl champion coach.

15. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

So Dooley, Lyle, and Gruden are indistinguishable in your opinion?

How many NFL games do either of the first two win, were an owner drunk enough to hire them?

hallowed_hill likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think there is some confusion. He didn't say they were indistinquishable, he said calling Gruden an unknown was dumb.

17. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I quoted the wrong person. At 35 I've become techno retarded

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Why can't I like myown post, like 20 times?

19. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I agree, John Gruden is an unknown.

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

What happened to your sweet sweet avy?