Chip v. Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Oct 18, 2017.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Be ecstatic with either.

Prefer Gruden.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Kelly recruited better than any coach in Oregon history though

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They almost won and he had a bunch of inherited 2 and 3 star recruits. The Oregon teams from later Kelly years would have obliterated that auburn team. Gruden loves Kelly’s style of offense

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He loved how simple it actually is, since that's the key to playing at that tempo.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Right. But it was effective. Oregon’s offense wasn’t “figured out,” Helfrich just was a wimp and recruited terribly on the defensive side of the ball. Their offense was still good/great.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

"Do it all over again?"

This reads like you're lumping Gruden in the same category as Lyle and Dooley, but that can't be, can it?

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Who was it that said it was figured out? I must have overlooked that post.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is nothing to figure out. It's a spread option that forces good assignments at a fast pace and capitalizes on any misalignments or mistackles. Great for college.

9. GoVols

GoVols Member

Exactly right! I am lumping them all together in a category called, "unproven coaches", because that's exactly what they are / were at some point. Dooley was a question mark, Butch was a question mark and Gruden is every bit a question mark. Sometimes you'll win this gamble and most of the time you'll lose. Just ask UCLA and Illinois.

The fact is, we are taking an unnecessary gamble, when there is a guy with a 46-7 record, 4 BCS appearances, and 3 Top 5 finishes sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

There is a clear cut, undeniably better choice here and this fanbase is falling all over itself to chase after 'the one that got away'.

10. midtownvol83

midtownvol83 Active Member

I think Gruden would do great here and would be the most exciting hire by far. But I think you’re right that Kelly is the best choice here yet my Grudometer is still stuck at 100 despite knowing that.

Just hope Florida or TAMU don’t get him. I feel like our AD is going to pass on him if we don’t get Gruden.

11. kidbourbon

Okay, so if there is nothing to figure out, I will just disregard all references to it having been figured out.

12. kidbourbon

Homeboy appears to be under the impression that he's embroiled in a competitive "overstate your point" tournament. Though I cannot disagree with his conclusion that Kelly is the better option, and an absolute sure thing.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just not on the "sure thing" page. If Kelly is a " sure thing," so is any other coach who has had success at their last stop.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, any other guys out there that won 10+ games every year in a P5 conference, won his conference 3 times, and played in a BCS bowl every year (including a NC game) would also be considered a sure thing.

A-Smith likes this.
  15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I clearly remember some Bammers pissing and moaning about having hired Saban... They're nowhere to be found now though.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Especially when they lost to a directional LA school.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or won a super bowl

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

That's actually a point worth remembering should UT make the hire we're all clamoring for, be it JMF'nG, Kelly, Patterson or Stoops... The first year may not produce a whole lot but year two?... Look out!

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

With a team that Dungy couldn’t win with and a very mediocre QB. Had Gannon looking like Manning. The guy is an offensive wiz and motivator. By nature of offensive wizardry, he damned well knows D.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

They don't issue them for jaywalking.